Sunday, November 1, 2015

FALLOWEEN EXTRAVAGANZA: Day 1: Books

FALLOWEEN EXTRAVAGANZA!
DAY 1
TOP 10 BOOKS TO READ AROUND HALLOWEEN

Hello everyone. I'm still alive. How 'bout that? Sorry about the wait, I've been doing “real” job stuff, life stuff happened, you know how it is. STFU, my timing is im-fucking-peccable.

Welcome to frigging fall! Those of us in the Northeast are already suffering OWS (Oncoming Winter Syndrome) what with last year being made of terrifying storms and snow that didn't melt until well into August in some areas. No kidding. The largest city in my state still had a snow-pile in August. Still don't know if it ever melted all the way.

Those who know the real me IRL (In Real Life, for those not as accustome to internet parlance) know that this is my favorite time of year. The shorts go back in the drawer of shame, the t-shirts get augmented by flannel and wool, the sweaters and sweatshirts get shown off. Never you mind all that pumpkin spice bullshit, though. I'm more of a cinnamon-in-the-cocoa kinda person. Sure, I like the spice part, but I've never been one for pumpkin. My family largely regards me as an abomination (or at least an aberration) since I won't eat pumpkin pie, even on Thanksgiving. I'm an apple-eater, and proud of it.

October, being the best month ever, bar none, is my time of year. If I've got any excuse for why it's taken me this long to post something Halloween-related, it's that I've been up to my eyebrows in Halloween-related things. As an illustration of this, and as a way to actually have some content up, here are a few Top 10 lists of my favorite Halloween-related things. Y'know, the ones that have been distracting me and all....

Today's subject: BOOKS!

FILTHY CASUAL'S TOP 10 HALLOWEEN BOOKS*
*may not contain any actual Halloween. Bite me.

#10: Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery by Deborah & James Howe
I love bunnies. I like vampires. I like books with unexpected narrators. I may still be approximately 8 years old at heart... add all that together, and you get the perfect recipe for a Bunnicula-lover! Bunnicula is the story of a dog (Harold), his neurotic, drama-queen roommate, Chester the cat, their family (the Monroes), and the sudden arrival of a possibly vampiric rabbit named, you guessed it, Bunnicula. Chester, having read Dracula and many other books in his day (yes, these animals aren't just sentient, they're also literate, it's a kids' book, just go with it), is convinced that Bunnicula isn't some innocent little vegan. He fears that the lapid might do something unholy to the family. Problem: Chester is kind of the boy who cried wolf in this family, so it's up to Harold to save the day. Or something. I'll be honest with you, it's been a very long time since I've read this book. I think I remember one of the sequels, The Celery Stalks at Midnight, better. I certainly remember there being a Dachshund who may or may not have been a lycanthrope in that book...
If you like small, furry animals, clever wordplay, and a children's book that won't talk down to you (or your own sprog if you need the excuse to read this lovely little thing), then I highly recommend this book.

#9: Dracula by Bram Stoker
Maybe he wasn't the first, but it would be hard to argue that Count Dracula isn't the most famous literary vampire. Most people are likely more familiar with the nasty noble from his cinematic appearances, specifically the Bela Lugosi film, but I strongly urge anyone who hasn't read the book it came from to do so now! There are literally thousands of iterations of this story now, and it's easy to lose sight of the original in the milieu. Sure, there are parts that drag (why do we need to know about how dearly Harker loves chicken paprikash?), but the story itself is deeply unsettling. Especially when you realize that the whole neck-biting thing? Not really a part of the book. Instead, there's a significant amount of what I, weeny that I am, would call Body-Horror in this tale. And that scene that almost always gets cut out where Dracula crawls head first down the walls of the castle to get into his coffin. I think I've only ever seen it replicated with the appropriate amount of creeptitude in Nosferatu, but we'll get into that later.
Read this! (It's super easy too, there's a free version for Kindle.)

#8: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
Okay, so this one's not really Halloween-ish, but it's got some seriously messed up stuff in it! Any book which includes assassination, attempted fratricide, madmen writing their last journals in their own blood, and poisons that literally burn you from the inside out is going to be unsettling. That said, there's not much I can say without spoiling the whole thing for you, if you haven't read it yet. As something which was supposed to be written as a bedtime story (if that rumor is correct), it succeeds far better than my father's sadistic reading of the King short-story The Boogyman. Seriously, who does that to a six-year-old?! (It also succeeds better than Lady in the Water, sorry Shyamalamanamana)


#7: California Bones by Greg van Eekhout
Holy crap is this book good. I picked it up at my local library on a whim, and it's become one of my favorite books. The premise is clever – an alternate history of America where there's real magic, California has seceded from the Union, and people are eating each other. Literally. Seriously, that's how the damn book starts. The main character watches people murder and eat his father for the magic in his bones! Yeah, I can't give much else away on this one, either. There's a heist, there's weird alchemy, there's drug use, there's Disney, there's strong implications regarding the fates of several Hollywood greats... it's amazing. Read this. I could not stop once I started.

#6: The List of 7 by Mark Frost
The author should tell you all you need to know. This guy helped create Twin Peaks. Now he's writing a Sherlock Holmes pastiche starring Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself. Fighting zombies. And maybe satan. And Hitler shows up at one point! What the crap?! This book was made of head-spinning mystery, steamy romance, surprise cameos (yeah, Hitler's not the only sudden appearance, just the briefest), etc. It makes me desperate to find and read the sequel, but I'm working my way through two other books right now, so it'll have to wait. Unlike my SO, I can't read more than two books at a time ;)
Why is this book not a movie? It should be a movie.

#5: The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr
From a Holmes pastiche that isn't to one which is. The Italian Secretary is a story about Holmes, Watson, and possibly ghosts. Not kidding. Not at all. Also, they fight a goddamn ballista at one point. It's all terribly dramatic. While investigating mysterious deaths at Holyrood House, H&W are confronted with a legend regarding a ghostly, hunchbacked, mad Italian music instructor to the Scottish Queen who was murdered by a huge amount of lords and landholders (a tale which may have possibly inspired the culmination of Murder on the Orient Express?) because of reasons. I promise, the spooky ghost story and the possible spectral interference at the end of the book somehow relate into the ballista, some illegal haunted tours, unwanted pregnancy, and mad money-grubbers.

#4: Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix
Ikea is a special kind of hell. This book is about Orsk, a haunted Ikea knockoff, and the employees who get trapped in it. Horrorstör starts off with a young protagonist who feels trapped and smothered by her job. She gets roped into investigating some weird stuff that's been happening in the store (there is feces discovered and no poop-smearer can be found to match to it, also creepy bathroom writing and malfunctioning electronics). Anyone who has worked a retail job for more than a week knows exactly who the characters are and their daily grind. It's a supremly relatable cast, but then the weird shit happens: The main character, Amy, and her coworkers stay the night with their supervisor in order to catch whoever has been defacing the store, but it might just turn out that they aren't as alone as it may at first appear.
I won't spoil what happens when night falls on Orsk, but no one will remain unchanged by their experience.
(Holy shit this book nearly gave me nightmares!)

#3: Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
While I am personally also a fan of Priest's other series, Four and Twenty Blackbirds, I wanted a zombie book in here. This book takes place in an alternate history where the Civil War never really ended, airships have taken over for the failed railroad, and zombies have sprung up from a deadly mist which has overtaken the now-walled-in city of Seattle. Yeah. Seattle, Washington.
Bear in mind while reading that this is pretty solidly a YA book (I don't know why they just lump all Steampunk books together. It's really annoying when you want to read something a little more... spicy from time to time). It's about a mother's love, a son's determination to find out what happened to his father (which was a twist that took even my Shyamalamadingdong-damaged mind by surprise), and zombie-inducing gas and drugs. Also sky pirates, but that's more the followup book Clementine (which I also own. I should just buy all of the Clockwork Century series, shouldn't I?)
If you want your zombies with a side of family drama and a slice of Steampunk, this is your book.

#2: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz, drawings by Stephen Gammell
This book and its sequels gave me nightmares for years. I still get creeped out by the covers. I cannot look at the illustrations for The Thing and Cold as Clay. I can't. When the books were still in my room, I had to cover them up, turn them around, and then put more books in front of them. They freaked me out. They still freak me out. Why were these marketed towards children? Why wouldn't I stop reading them as a kid? These books are the reason I won't look out windows or into mirrors at night. These books are why I fear the dark. These books are why I've never been frightened by another Stephen King book or short story since The Boogyman and that one about the teacher who kills the kids.
This series is fucking awesome.
Torture your offspring with them.
Torture their sprog with them.
Just.... never make me read Cold as Clay again. And bear in mind, I still can't read these almost 20 years later.

#1: October Dark by David Herter
Read this goddamn book.
Buy it.
Read it.
Spread the word.
Holy shit, this book made my Atheist heart beat with religious fervor. And I seem to be the only one as deeply in love with it as I am. That hurts. That hurts a lot.
I was not yet born when this book takes place – the years and days leading up to the premier of Star Wars – but I know the fervor well. I lived through the downfall of the series, after all. I also lived through the fall of stop-motion-animation. This book is about both. And dark magic. And creepy haunted movies that will make you want to watch them. Oh, and a headless automaton which may or may not be a witch-in-waiting. And a dude who just won't die.
And 70s music.
And did I mention it's a love letter to Ray Bradbury?
This book is amazing. I cannot do it justice with my words, only my militant belief that it deserves far broader readership than it has had.
Sadly, the only physical copies are from a limited run of hardcovers. I stumbled upon one of these at my local library a few years ago and devoured it. It's a beautiful book in print. Then I was given a Kindle for Christmas and downloaded the e-book. The e-book is slightly edited (I was deeply frustrated by this, but after reading the Kindle edition, I have to agree that the flow is improved by the minor changes and shuffling). However you can get hold of this book, do it. You probably won't regret it.

This closes out my first Top 10 List of the Falloween Season. Stay Tuned for further entries – for me, Halloween begins on October 31st, but it doesn't end until I run out of candy or until halfway between the 31st and Thanksgiving. That still leaves over 7 days in which to devour your sweets, your books, games, tv, movies, and music.
Go forth and enjoy things!

1 comment:

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!