Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Talk About Tuesday

 

In Which My Window WILL NOT SHUT UP


Several years ago, we got our siding redone and new windows put in. It was part of an effort to keep the house livable, since windstorms had torn both shingles & siding off, and we were all tired of desperately trying to stuff the windows with towels to prevent leaking. And these new windows do not leak. At all. They're really, really good at keeping the weather outside of my room when I want them to.

They just have a few tiny flaws...

See, they don't open from the bottom, so I have to snake my hand up between the shade and the middle of the window where the lock is to open or close them, which is a pain. That's something I'm fine with, though, because I don't open/close them very often - my room is on a side of the house that rarely has rain driven towards it from spring to fall, so once it's open, it stays that way until the weather gets too cold or we have a really bad storm.

The other problem is what happens after a storm or heavy rainfall.

My window talks.

It chirps, it squeaks, it makes weird digestive sounds, it makes frog noises, and more than once, I've thought someone was trying to turn on a car in the driveway and the starter had gone bad, but no, it was just my stupid window jabbering away.

It only does it when two criteria are met:

1) It is raining or has rained recently and
2) The ambient temperature is fluctuating.

Since it was a balmy 53℉ (11.7℃) yesterday with a two-part storm (poured all morning, stopped from about noon to nightfall, poured until dawn today), and today's high was a sudden (yet quite nice) 36℉ (2.2℃), that window chatter has been going for quite a while.

I have not been able to catch a wink of sleep because every time I close my eyes and start to drift the window sounds like a half-drowned Tasmanian Devil skulking around at the foot of my bed.

As a result, my brains are molasses today.

Still managed to finish the first of many gifts, though! I still have... a lot to go, but one down is good progress.

Since my noggin is cloggin, I've been playing video games today. One of those games is Pokemon Masters EX, and I'm very mad because I've been trying for Guzma since he appeared and he just WON'T GET IN MY STABLE DANGIT, YOU'RE MY BOI AND I WANT YA!

Mild frustrations with certain Alolan fellows aside, I've also been doing some planning for artwork and some mild picking away at the Secret Project. I've also tried to do a little planning for the upcoming week in general, so here are those slightly sludgy efforts:

Thursday: Present an Artwork or two, heavily winter-related.
Monday: Present more work on the Secret Project, preferably with instructions on how to add the next layer!
Next Tuesday: Blather at you all some more.

I'm racking my poor gooey brains for anything worth talking about...

I helped set up Christmas decorations at my grandmother's house with my dad and my boyfriend! That was fun and I only lost most of the feeling in my hands!

I have gotten very, very good at wrangling the cat into her harness, despite her best efforts.

I've been keeping an eye on said cat because she's having respiratory symptoms again, so I'm not really looking forward to pilling her again :(

I went out to dinner with my boyfriend on Sunday - we had delicious curries made at our Thai date joint, which is a wonderful place to eat. Everything they make is truly delightful!

We then came back to my place and enjoyed a supper of pulled pork while also hanging out and discussing writing plans. My boyfriend was facing the foot of my bed and pointed out that something was making a weird buzzing sound, but since I don't hear any electronic whining (for once), I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that perhaps the culprit was my stupid window again lol.

As for tonight, I will continue to slowly de-gel my brain until it works properly, and then I'll sleep.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!