Monday, May 29, 2023

Fiber Monday

 
In Which I Have A New Project:

So I have a Ren Faire to attend in September. This means I need an outfit. I have a lovely top from Holy Clothing (a Torvi top in Huntress Green), and I have some tan jeggings that, covered by the top, will look almost like deer suede. I will probably try to wear my boots, but if it's gonna be wet that day, I'll just wear some good hiking shoes and sacrifice fantasy aesthetic in favor of not losing my feet or damaging my good suede boots.

But just a tunic and leggings isn't very... fancy, is it?

No, I want a ridiculous, complicated, lacy skirt.

I admire the designs of a lot of the skirts I've seen, but I wanted to make my own 100% of the way. So far, I'm using white crochet thread and a 1.5mm hook. I've only just started the waistband.

A rectangle of white crocheted fabric with the leading thread stretched across at a diagonal from the upper right corner to the middle of the left end. The piece is on its side. There is a double-line of slits starting an inch and a half from the left side and leading to the right side. The steel hook is woven through the top row of slits.
As you can see, it's not that big

I'm hoping to have this skirt be double-fastened with ribbons and some sort of buttons or hooks as well.

I started by chaining 51 and then single-crocheting 25 rows of 50 stitches each, chaining one and turning at the end of each row.

The next row, I single-crocheted 10 stitches, chained 10, skipped 10 stitches, single crocheted into the next 10 stitches, chained 10, skipped 10 stitches, and then single crocheted the last 10 stitches before chaining one and turning.

The next 5 rows are all single crocheted, single crocheting into each chain and stitch across. Then I kept repeating the spaced-rows and the 5 rows of single crochet. I'll keep going like that until I'm satisfied with the way it wraps around my middle, and then I'll probably do another 50 rows of just plain single crochet, just to create a comfy overlap to prevent any gapping (not that anyone will see the waistband at the Ren Faire, but what if I want to wear it elsewhere?!)

My plan after the waistband is done is to create a row of half-double crochet along the bottom edge to which I'll eventually attach the skirt, which will start as wide as my waistband and then I'll keep adding stitches until it's wide enough to be swishy and fun and long enough to qualify as a skirt and not just a flirty little coverup. I already know this girl's gonna be heavy, and I'm debating whether I want to add beads to make it even heavier

I'm considering all of the laces and trims that I've found on Ravelry. There's a very old squirrel one I think would be absolutely darling as a feature of the skirt, but we'll see how that goes.

Alright, I think I've said all I can say so far on this project. I'm only maybe 20% done with the waistband. Maximum. We'll see where I'm at next week!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!