Monday, December 14, 2020

Fiber Monday - Working Towards Joy

 

In Which I'm Doing My Best :D


It's that time of year when everything I do or think or make or say is an effort towards making someone's holidays a little brighter, and you know as well as I do that it can be exhausting. I have been crocheting nonstop since 6:30AM and that's after about an hour of sleep because I'm a garbage human who may have serious insomnia and an addiction to really stupid YouTube videos. On the plus side, I have finished 2 whole projects - including the most mentally taxing one - and I've started on a commission I was given by a family member and... it's the size of an infant. I'm not kidding. I think I have enough fluff though, so that's not going to be a problem, and the supplies were all... uh... supplied to me.

That being said, I still have a bunch of snowflakes to finish sewing ends in on, soak in OxyClean with my Filet Crochet Panels, and starch (maybe), I have several small plushes to make, and I have no idea what I'm doing 99% of the time.

It's the most stressful time of year, folks, but it's still worth every moment of doubt and every small blister forming on the top of my pinky.

One of these days I should show you all how I crochet, because... I do not do it correctly. Everyone I see holds the hook and project in the same hand and the yarn and project in the other, but not me. Nope. For some reason, I literally cannot make it work the way I see everyone do it, so I hold the hook between my right thumb and middle finger and loop the yarn up over my ring finger like a block & tackle before running it up and over my pointer finger, using the pointer as the means for advancing the yarn.

The way I've described it makes no sense, but some day I'll show you, and you'll probably understand, even if you'll have no idea how that makes anything easier. I will say that I should probably look into a leather thimble for my pinky just based on how the yarn rubs it raw sometimes lol.

Also, I keep dozing while I write or crochet (had to rework one part of the commission four times because I kept nodding off, but now it looks 4x better than it did, so I can't quite complain.

Actually, this brings me to something I wanted to discuss with y'all about my crochet work. Since it is such a big part of my life, and since I really enjoy doing it, I was wondering if, after Christmas (it's already too late to ship anything out for the holidays with how awful the mail is backed up everywhere) anyone might be interested in commissioning anything from me? I'll work on doing some pricing on what I'm willing to do, putting together a catalog, etc, but I think that might be a good supplement to... whatever job I eventually find, and I'm already crocheting a bunch anyway, so why not?

I might get up the gumption to do art commissions, too, but I think I need a few more months practice on that. Don't want you to end up with a potato after you ask me for a dragon, after all lol!

So yeah, that's where I am today - working hard on some large pieces for Christmas!

Hope you're all crafting right along with whatever your craft is!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!