Thursday, July 14, 2022

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which This Week's Theme Was...
VEGETABLE


This week I was given the theme "Vegetable" to make art from!

Actually, it occurs to me that I've never actually made it clear what each category means. In fact, I don't think I've ever formally explained the whole system...

Well, no time like the present!

I am, as anyone who knows me is aware of, not a particularly confident person when it comes to my skills, so I would feel really awful about selling full-on commissioned artwork. I don't have the focus or skill necessary to make someone's Original Character (OC) or a portrait, but I love having some sort of guidance so that I can't develop Artist's Block.

So I've introduced a system of... pseudo-commissioning me.

On my Ko-Fi account, you can leave a message when you donate. For one coffee (which is around 3 bucks USD), you can send me a message consisting of which category you'd like to see me tackle. Those categories are, as of this week: ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MINERAL, LOCATION, GEOMETRIC, and WORD. You don't get to tell me what I make beyond just those categories, but here is what you could possibly end up with:

  • ANIMAL
    • animal lifeforms, insects, arachnids, humans, or mythological creatures
  • VEGETABLE
    • plants or fungi
  • MINERAL
    • rocks, gems, crystals
  • LOCATION
    • landscapes, cityscapes, rooms, desk assemblages, maps, seascapes
  • GEOMETRIC
    • bubble art, abstract art, random shapes
  • WORD
    • any word of your choice outlined like my bubble art. No curses or slurs. No political slogans. +1 coffee per additional word. (So "RISE AND SHINE" would be worth 3 coffees)
Now, for an additional coffee, you can choose the medium from the mediums I have access to:
  • watercolor paint
  • colored pencil
  • marker
  • gel pen
  • ink
  • pencil
  • digital
Now that that's out of the way, (and if you're still with me,) I'd like to show you how this week's VEGETABLE request turned out:


"Fruits Of The Month" watercolor on paper; 2022


In this painting, we've got July fruits - mulberries, elderberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, and blueberries - scattered across a gray background. It wasn't until I had already finished the background that I realized that gray might not have been the best color to choose, so I did something I've never really tried before.

I altered the background color with a layer of Buff Titanium in Paint.net!!!


"Fruits of The Month v2.0" watercolor and digital; 2022


Which do you prefer - gray or cream background?

This week's painting was really fun, and I'm glad I got to scan it. Unfortunately, I suspect our scanner is on its last legs, because if you try to preview a scan and then scan it, the scan never happens and you cannot try again because the scanner is stuck in a loop and you have to go all the way into the basement and manually quit the scan. Then you have to go alllllll the way back to your computer and restart it. Then it might work.

Thankfully it did work.

So what do you guys think? And what would you like to see next week?

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!