Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Talk About Tuesday

 

In Which I Had Fun!


I had a blast at this year's Independence Day celebrations with my partner, Z! We took my grandmother to the local parade and watched the band my dad plays in roll down the street on their float. The band got really creative this year lol!

Yes, that's a t-rex inflatable costume on the back of the float...

Thankfully, there was no one actually wearing the costume and standing on the back of the float because I can tell you from experience, standing on the back of a moving flatbed truck that may be moving slowly but still makes pretty quick stops is NOT easy!

Instead, it looked like my old man zip-tied the thing's limbs shut (to prevent the air escaping) and they just lashed it down to keep it from flying away. It was a big hit!

After the parade, Z and I made sure my grandma got home safely (despite her protests that she'd be fine, we wanted to be sure no one ran her over because while that road is usually quiet, it's used as a parade turnaround on the 4th!) and then went to hang out with some friends for the rest of the day!

And thank goodness they had AC because I did that thing where it doesn't matter how much shade I've stayed in or how loose, light, and natural my clothing is or how much water I've drank, I got overheated. It wasn't even particularly hot! It was probably 85℉/29,4℃ at the worst, and the humidity was very low, but I guess since I was in the sun for five whole minutes my body was in "keep all the heat" mode.

Eventually, we wandered back over to the small fair that pops up every year - it's 99% food trucks and 1% craft tents - to grab some food. Z bought a blooming onion and some fried Oreos that we shared, and honestly if you've never had either, try them! They're delicious. They're also greasy as heck, and I forgot to take any pictures of that or anything else for the rest of the day. We ate and shared with our friends, and eventually we went back to their place for another cooldown session.

On the way back, Z showed me around his town for a few minutes. That's all the time it takes to see pretty much everything of note in his hometown - bakeries, cafes, grocers, even a boxing school... they're all pretty centrally located! I'd love to move there with him. It really is lovely.

We hung out with our friends until nightfall, when we all made our way to the fairground again to lean on a homemade hotrod truck and watch the fireworks.

I didn't get home until almost 11PM, but no one was home waiting for me except my cat. My parents had gone to one of the big cities for the symphony and fireworks there! Which was fine by me - it meant that I could brush my teeth and take a cool shower late at night! I really needed it - when you're A Very Round Bird, heat gets trapped in weird places and is almost impossible to release in public. After the shower, I just went to bed.

Which was especially good for me, since I hadn't slept a wink on Sunday night! I was trying to make something for a potential blog on Monday but uh... it was pointless and I wasn't even home after 8:45AM! When on earth would I have even written it? I make no sense sometimes.

Instead, I now have a very nice beginning of a very nice granny triangle shawl. I might work on it more today, but honestly, despite sleeping for a good 9 hours, I could use another nap!

Yesterday was clear and bright and dry and breezy, but today is cloudy and the humidity is rising and it'll probably rain soon. You couldn't have two July days more different, it feels like. Except I know better because I'm pretty sure I remember a year where it was 93℉/33,9℃ with 85% humidity on the 4th and then the 5th was about 65℉/18,3℃ with 40% humidity...

I like how quiet and slow today feels. Usually, there are some dumb neighbors setting off leftover fireworks by now, but they may have already blown all their hands off or something last night. That or they're waiting for sunset, which tonight will be after 8:20PM...

There was still light at the horizon last night after 9PM! We could see the silhouette of an Osprey on its nest.

Yeah, I'm rambling. I think it's time for me to run down this week's plans:
  • If you want a say in Thursday's art, don't forget to send me a coffee on Ko-Fi with a message saying which category you want! Those categories are:
    • Animal
    • Vegetable
    • Mineral
    • Person
    • Geometric
    • Food (this one's new)
  • I don't know that I'll have a game for Saturday, but I'll keep looking! You can Ko-Fi me a message with a free pc or browser game you'd like me to check out!
  • Next Monday should result in at least 1 finished project but I'm not sure it'll be the Mystery Project aka the Mushroom Bag...
  • Next Tuesday I'll be back with more blather!
That'll about do it for me for today, guys!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!