Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which I Did A Silly Little Art


One of the things Z & I like to do is watch old commercials. They're a great way to unwind, they're low-intellectual-expenditure, and they're endlessly fascinating. The other night we were watching this block from 1988 and the bumpers for a night time movie came up. This station called their late movies "Night Owl Movies" and the illustration was absolutely adorable. Z said that I should draw the owl, and I agreed.

So this is technically fanart of a 1988 tv movie bumper from WCIX.

"Getting To Know You"; watercolor pencil & ink on watercolor sketch pad; 2023
[DEDBERT, FOOD, ANIMAL]

Getting this done was an adventure - it's been so humid this week that all of my supplies were vaguely damp, which made erasing pencil lines very hard. I also struggled to focus, since my mind was occupied with the heat. I finished the pencils yesterday, but I waited til today to color and paint it. It almost didn't happen.

This morning at around 4am, I was awakened by a bunch of rattling and crashing, like someone had dropped a bunch of pots & pans in the kitchen. Worried that the cat had gotten into some shit, I stumbled downstairs in the predawn haze and saw absolutely nothing awry. Heck, the cat was even eating the last of the previous night's dinner.

Well, it turned out that something had fallen over, but it wasn't pots or pans, and it wasn't because of the cat.

Turns out that the top two shelves in our cup cabinet let go. They're old and made of crappy particle board from 1989, so let's be real, they were gonna go eventually. Still, that was probably about as unenjoyable to discover the hard way for my mom as it gets. We're all sub 5'6" here (that's under 168cm for you metric folks out there), and the cabinets are designed for much taller people. The top shelf was about two feet (61cm) above my head, so that means a bunch of cups, thermoses, glasses, etc tumbled out when my mom went to get her morning coffee...

How very frustrating.

Mom's been wanting new cabinets for the last decade or so, so maybe that'll happen now (lol).

Anywho, that's all from me for today.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!