Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which I'm Helping


Yesterday was quite the day! Nothing seemed to be going quite right, art-wise, for the first 3/4 of the day, and I just felt kind of run-down. It was gorgeous out, though, with blue skies and bright sunshine and a birdbath surrounded by thirsty honeybees from the neighbor's hives, and that was nice. It was also nice that, out of the blue, my boyfriend was gifted a new mattress by our Epic Friends - the same ones who transported a bed to him last week!

And then, in the evening, my wonderful mother took my guy and me to go pick up some rugs for his room, and that was great, too!

All in all, and despite my brain being mush, yesterday was pretty decent, really!

But I had a problem - I received a Ko-Fi donation for art in the LOCATION category, and I could not for the life of me figure out how to draw or paint a location all day! I wanted to paint a library - too many lines, apparently, because my lineart was... bad. I wanted to create a sunset silhouetted scene from a desert in digital art - too few colors, couldn't figure out the order of shading. I was about to give up when my boyfriend suggested Mount Katahdin.

I love painting mountains.

I really, really love them.

I was, however, very intimidated by painting a mountain I knew, though.

Thankfully, Google is a total bro when it comes to finding reference photos, and it's pretty easy to find said references for Katahdin! I still wanted to paint a sunset, though, so I changed the time of day, tweaked some colors and got to work.

My first layer was with my Arteza watercolor pencils, and I sketched everything out with a brown sienna pencil before filling in base colors. I chose some pretty wild tones for the sky and the peaks, then more subdued ones for the forest and pond.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, but you can let me know what you think in the comments either on here or wherever you found a link!

"Katahdin"; watercolor and watercolor pencil on hot press paper; 2022


Up until today, I've struggled to get our scanner to capture the actual colors of my paintings, but I think I figured it out!

I stuck black construction paper behind the painting instead of leaving it against the white lid.

Seems to have done the trick, because that yellow is just as yellow as it is in real life!

Also, I did something I didn't think I'd ever do - I accidentally put my brush in my coffee.

Thankfully the paints are non-toxic and the brush washed out just fine in my water, but that was... embarrassing, to be honest lol!

I think that will do it for me, today. I will be working on some crochet tonight, and if you guys want a say in what I draw or paint, please remember to send me a Ko-Fi donation with a message telling me what category you'd like to see next (Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, Location, Geometric, Dedbert, Word)!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!