Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which I Made Bubbles Again



My original plan for today was to make a nice picture of a mushroom. Nothing special, just one of those amanita-like spotted mushrooms everyone who makes mushroom-based designs seems to love. Then I realized that I haven't bought snacks since probably June and the craving for toaster pastries overwhelmed me.

So I started making a quick and dirty bubble art sheet with my highlighters and colored pencils.

"BonkBubbles" colored pencil and highlighter on printer paper; 2021 

I like how this one turned out, but I think I'll like it more once I scan it (the scanner is not synced with my new laptop and I just don't have the patience for that today, sorry!) and maybe do a little manipulation in Paint.net. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but maybe I'll also draw a little mushroom and then scan that in, cut it out, paste it over the bubbles... we'll see!

As for my walk, it was... fraught.

I'm an impatient person when I want to do something. Doubly so when there are other people involved. I hate shopping, and I extra hate that I have to literally walk uphill both ways from the nearest shop. That's not an exaggeration. I actually have to walk uphill in either direction. It sucks. I don't like it. 

Well, unfortunately for me, I had to take an even steeper side of the hill this time because there was a crew pruning trees along my usual route. I had to go about a third of a mile (approx 0.49km) out of my way, which brought my round trip to about 1.5 miles (2.42km) instead of about a half mile (0.81km).

And it was snowing.

At least it was a reasonably temperate 28 degrees (-2℃) with no real wind to speak of, but it's very hard to see where you're going when you have to wear both a mask and very, very, very thick glasses.

So I came home in somewhat of a mood only to trip over the cat and then be let down by a lot of the stupid stuff they're releasing with Resident Evil: Village.

Major bummer.

This is where the idea of the BonkBubbles came from. Usually, I just go through my pencils or markers or whatever one by one, laying down a strip of each color in succession with the end goal being something incredibly rainbow-toned, but today I did things a bit differently. I cracked open my highlighters and laid down dots of each color (six yellow dots, four pink, four blue, five green, and six orange), and then outlined each in every colored pencil of the same color family. I would do one ring for each dot before starting from the beginning again with the next pencil. So yellow dots got yellow rings, green dots got green rings, etc.

Here's where the Bonk part comes in. Whenever I was running a ring of one color and it "bonked" into another (because the space is limited), I would then outline the shape I bonked in that color. Eventually I ran out of shapes that were outlined in green or blue and could only use yellow, pink, and orange. Eventually I bonked into yellow with orange. Eventually I bonked into orange with pink.

Pink, therefor, despite only having four origin points, took over completely, which shocked me, since I thought for sure it'd be either yellow or orange!

I liked that experiment, so I'll probably try something similar with my permanent markers at some point, or just a pure colored pencil sheet! I'd also like to try something similar digitally, but I'd try to do color mixing on that one, so if I was "bonking" a yellow bubble into a blue one, they'd mix colors and I'd end up with a green outline from then on. That could get really interesting!

I think that'll about do it for me today. I am le tired. But FC it was only 1.5 miles, you shouldn't be tired! I know. I'm not tired from the walk. I'm just tired (it's overcast and cloudy days make me tired lol). I'll maybe start that digital bonkbubble art later :)

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!