Thursday, January 28, 2021

Thursday Art Walk - A Palette For You

 

In Which I'm Working On Something That's TOO BIG


I keep doing this to myself: I start working on a piece of art in Paint.net and... it balloons out of control. I cannot stop myself. I must do this.

I'm working on a new bonkbubble piece (kind of like last week's piece, but 100% digital), and I'm using a Semi-Limited Palette! What does that mean?

It means that I filled one whole row of the palette with colors from that random palette generator site I talked about that one time (Coolors) and now I'm spreading out dots in each color across a vast canvas. Seriously, it was 120 inches by 120 inches at one point (304.8x304.8cm). It's too big. Everything's very spread out. And yet I've already had four intersections! Which means I've mixed an additional four colors!

The original palette is here with hex/rgb colors for other artists to try out!
  • Aero Blue
    • Hex: BFFFF1
    • RGB: 191, 255, 241
  • Saffron
    • Hex: EAC435
    • RGB: 234, 196, 53
  • Wild Blue Yonder
    • Hex: B2B1CF
    • RGB: 178, 177, 207
  • Raisin Black
    • Hex: 1E1E24
    • RGB: 30, 30, 36
  • Dark Liver
    • Hex: 403F4C
    • RGB: 64, 63, 76
  • Opera Mauve
    • Hex: B37BA4
    • RGB: 179, 123, 164
  • Tumbleweed
    • Hex: D8A47F
    • RGB: 216, 164, 127
  • Dark Olive Green
    • Hex: 46782C
    • RGB 71, 104, 44
  • Viridian Green
    • Hex: 0FA3B1
    • RGB: 15, 163, 177
  • Purple Navy
    • Hex: 414874
    • RGB: 65, 72, 116
  • Arylide Yellow
    • Hex: DBD053
    • RGB: 219, 2018, 83
  • Rose Madder
    • Hex: DB2B39
    • RGB: 219, 43, 57
  • Shocking Pink Crayola
    • Hex: F26DF9
    • RGB: 242, 109, 249
  • Imperial Red
    • Hex: FF0035
    • RGB: 255, 0, 53
  • Bone
    • Hex: D7CEB2
    • RGB: 215, 206, 178
  • Oxford Blue
    • Hex: 0B132B
    • RGB: 11, 19, 43
I also have four color combos which have no names so far:
  • A7A25E
  • E48888
  • DB984A
  • ED5A6C
I'm pretty pleased with how things are going so far, sheer size notwithstanding (I've got it scaled to 1k pixels per inch right now, but that will be changed by the end, I promise lol). I did have one annoying moment where I miscounted somewhere and ended up having to shift over 70 dots up by 25 pixels (time consuming but not difficult), and I keep adding too much around each dot as I go, but that's pushed me to figure out the shortcuts on Paint.net!

If I press S four times, I get the magic wand selector, then I hit M to move the pixels, which I can do with my arrow keys for pixel-perfect movement! Made an error with my brush? Just hit E for the Eraser, erase my mistake, then hit B to go back to my Brush!

My only annoyance is that I legit can't figure out how to change the brush shape or if that's even possible. I'll finish the BonkBubble painting first, then figure out more things.

I'm also using a placeholder layer for when I need to combine colors, which I do by going to the mixing layer, and make a Brush Size 20 dot of each color at an Alpha/Opacity of 127 each. Then I use the Eyedropper tool to pick up the overlapped color, reset the Alpha to 255 (maxed out!) and add that new color to my palette. That's how I got the four colors up there. You can experiment on your own with those colors to see which ones I combined for them or just wait for the finished work!

Sorry I didn't have any progress shots for you, but I can't figure out how to save a work-in-progress without having to flatten all the layers (which... uh... wouldn't really work for me. Eventually I'll be deleting the background layer and the blending layer, but I need them for now!) and I'm still pretty new at this. Hopefully it'll be done next week!

Alright, I'm gonna go back to listening to some Synthwave and radiating bubbles :)

If you use that palette to make some art, please put a link in the comments or show me on Twitter (@TheFilthyCasua8)! I look forward to it :)

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!