Thursday, November 18, 2021

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which I Made Art I'm Very Proud Of!!!


I woke up late this morning. I usually get up around 9AM and do Serious Artist Things (drink too much coffee and argue with the cat before doing anything remotely like a productive task), but it rained again last night and I am still on High Alert from the Halloween Flood of 2021 so sleep wasn't really a thing last night (despite starting to doze around 11PM or so). This whole week has felt like I just couldn't get started, but when I look back, I've accomplished more than it feels like.

Today was especially rough, though, because not only did I get up later than I wanted, nothing went the way I expected it to!

Sure, I argued with the cat and made coffee, but when I sat down with my mug, Evie came stomping up to me and decided that, despite the fact that I was sideways-pretzeled on the couch, I must be sat upon. So up she hopped, but my mug was in the way of her sudden desire to sleep tucked under my chin and atop my chest like a fluffy facehugger.

I ended up wearing most of that cup of coffee and had to dislodge her before she settled in so that I could clean up.

Major bummer.

My second cup went better, though Evie was pretty mad at me and let me know by both yodeling and, more annoyingly, biting me. And of course she couldn't hop on the counter like a normal cat and bite my fingers, no.

She bit my foot.

She never bites feet, but she leaned down and took a mouthful of sock to air her fury.

She still decided that I was cuddle-material when I finally sat down after fully drinking my second cup. She tucked herself under my chin and kneaded little pinholes in my collarbone because she's an adorable little monster made of knives and cuteness.

It took until almost noon to get her off of me so I could do some chores - like pick up snacks. Unfortunately, my usual store was closed (despite multiple cars in the parking lot), so I went to the Food Service and bought bougie local chips (which are delicious, but kind of expensive) and Reese's Cups (which are delicious and not at all expensive). Also Unfortunate - the once-a-ceramic-shop storefront that has lain empty since mid-summer has now been filled with yet another "medical" marijuana dispensary.

I'm all for people combating their ills with whatever helps, but...

Come on.

If it was really a medical marijuana facility I wouldn't have been able to smell it from the church a hill and a half away. The other place in town is next to a bank and I never smell anything from them.

Pretty sure I got a contact high from that. 0/10 do not recommend. Also ended up with heartburn.

So I came home in a foul mood and probably a little toasted, but I was all ready to start doing my work...

Except I really didn't want to.

I was tired.

I was cranky.

The cat was yodeling again.

I just wanted to eat a bag of Cheez-Its and sleep.

So I ate a bag of Cheez-Its...

and zoned out.

Instead of working.

But then I realized I needed to do the damn work, so I put on my Big Artist Britches (okay, they're just a pair of plaid leggings bc all my pajamas are now in the wash) and dragged out my Good Sketchbook and my Good Watercolor Pencils and DID THE DAMN WORK!

And here it is:

"Stop, Thief!!!"; watercolor pencil on paper; 2021


Here we see a very happy groundhog escaping with a stolen pumpkin! It bounds towards freedom, not for a moment heeding the cries of dismay from the human whose edible lawn ornament has been snatched.

I want to thank my boyfriend for commissioning this one - it was so fun to draw, and even if groundhogs don't often canter like a racehorse, I love the motion it has! I am also inordinately proud of that pumpkin - it looks delightful!!!

There's one more commission to fulfill, but... that one will require quite the concerted effort on my part, as it's probably the biggest work I've ever tackled. Look forward to more updates on my Thanksgiving art in the coming week!

I think that'll do it for me today - I'm exhausted and excited and eager to rest up and start on the Big Commission tomorrow!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!