Monday, October 17, 2022

Fiber Monday

 

In Which I Have Finished A Thing Again!


So last week, I finished a lacy shrug that was in one of the colors for a wedding I'm going to in... 5 days. Yikes. And this week, I finished something else, just in case the DA Lady Sibyl shrug isn't quite broad enough for my linebacker shoulders.

Remember my sudden obsession with hexagon cardigans? I actually finished one!


And she is an 80s daydream!


If you can crochet a granny hexagon, you can crochet this sweater, and you can probably do it better than me. Just make sure you actually have enough yarn! And buttons! I gave the sweater 5 button holes, but... I only have 4 pearly buttons from an age when you could get 4 buttons for 49 cents. They'd be perfect, but such is life. It looks better open, anyway!

The sleeves reach a bit below the elbow on me, but you can make them way longer or shorter by adding more rounds to the hexagon or just adding more rounds to the sleeves. If you are not packing a gut like I am, you'll probably want to do less rounds on the hexagon and more rounds on the sleeves/bottom, but it's so simple you'll probably figure it out on your own. As for the neckline... you may want to sew the sleeves up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way instead of halfway like I did. That neckline is waaaaay too wide - which is why I skipped the chain spaces on the neckline along the back and reduced in even intervals from shoulder to shoulder.


How I fastened the two hexes!

I strongly recommend the Hex Cardi hack, guys. It's so incredibly easy, and if I had enough coordinating yarns, I'd make enough for every single person in my family. They're comfy, they're cute, and they're really fun to make!

Basically, I just seamed up the sleeves, then seamed together the back before adding three more blue rows in single crochet around the sleeves (skipping the chain spaces, so the cuffs were slightly smaller), and then running three rounds of single crochet around the inside opening (around the collar, down the left front, around the bottom, then up the right front, I think? I might have said that backwards). If you're adding buttons, leave some chain spaces open for them on one of the front sides, then sew the corresponding buttons onto the opposite side.

My version of seaming, by the way, was to slip stitch, chain one, then slip stitch into the matching stitch on the other side, then slip stitch in the next stitch, chain one, slip stitch into the matching stitch on the other side, etc. I did this for both sleeves and for the back. This made something like a rick-rack pattern!

I might use this basic pattern for the Goblin Cardigan idea I've been playing with.

Which is a topic for another Monday, I think :)

Now, if you've got any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments - I check them every time I post, so it may take a day or two for your comments to appear, but I'll give it the go-ahead when I see it! And I'm going to go see how much more I can get done in five days...

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!