Saturday, July 28, 2018

Casual Gaming Saturday 7


Game: NGU IDLE
Created by: Somethingggg (aka 4G)
Platform: PC (Kongregate)

Do you like RPGs? How about Idle games? Do you like to watch numbers increase rapidly? Do you hate clicking things too much?

NGU’s got you covered.

This game is another low-graphics game. The graphics consist mainly of text boxes, rapidly filling bars, and very simple images of gear you find and combine.

There’s also not a whole lot to say about this game besides the fact that it’s really fun, hilarious (if you bother reading the story), and freakishly addictive.

I’ve been playing on-and-off all week. I’ve been playing it when I can’t sleep because I’ll melt if I do, when I’m waiting for the kettle to heat up, when I’m taking breaks from working on projects, and when I’m between interactions on Pokefarm.

NGU IDLE is broken down into Features as you start out, each of the later-game features locked away behind a humorously described blank-box (H*ckin’ Locked being one of my favorites, since I didn’t censor it, it came that way). You start with nothing and no personality and are propelled through the game on base instinct and 4G’s snarky texts. Slowly, you’ll gain energy, which can be spent on Basic Training (attacks and defense, for instance).

Now your HP bar will start to fill. When it’s high enough, go ahead and start fighting your way through bosses. These will give you EXP to spend on random stuff and things in the EXP shop. There’s also AP, but those are exactly what they say they are: Arbitrary Points. They’re given at random, and the devices they’re spent on are of… varying usefulness.

All of this is handled with just the right amount of snark and pun-based humor. I’m fighting a Gorgonzola right now. As in a Gorgon made of cheese.

Actually, this whole dungeon I’m fighting through is full of cheese. Which I really should have seen coming…

This game is weird, guys. It’s weird and fun and no-stress.

Though the literal Money Pit can be a pain in the butt, since it eats every coin in your inventory, but it’s not guaranteed that you’ll get anything out of it.

Then again, there are no stores that take gold, so you may as well throw it into a semi-sentient hole. Even if it does sometimes just belch in your face afterwards…

One last thing – the upgrade systems can be a bit arcane, but it’s pretty fun to experiment. Also I love that the second actual sword you get has Link’s combat noises as the description.

All in all, this is a fun game that rewards you for playing it with snark, literally arbitrary rewards, and a great developer/creator who just wants to have fun!

If you want to play it on Kongregate, click here.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!