Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Talk About Tuesday 5

So, since I usually don't actually know what to actually say on Tuesdays, I think I'll talk about how different mediums seem to change how I write. Part of this decision is absolutely because I woke up really late and didn't bother to bring my laptop downstairs where it's cooler. A large part of the decision actually...

As you may have guessed, I'm trying to type this post on my phone. I usually use a laptop, so forgive me if there are really weird errors.

When I'm writing my stories, I tend to prefer writing longhand on college ruled paper with a pen. I used to like pencil more, but it's hard to edit a story that has ended up rubbed and blended away. Any color of ink seems to work for me, but I tend to use black ink over blue. I'm an absolute fiend for notebooks, too, so I have at least one notebook per idea, and I try to keep track of stories that way. Unfortunately, I am not an organised person, so those notebooks tend to get lost in the black hole that is my room.

Writing on a laptop is easy. I grew up with computers and typewriters, so I'm no stranger to the weight of a key under my fingertip. When I'm typing, is fun to get a rhythm going. A good rhythm can actually change what I'm writing by altering my state of mind and focusing me on what makes sense in a progressive way.

I'm not really enjoying the combo of fighting with my phone's autocorrect and trying to focus against my mother's obsession with HGTV. I don't generally enjoy writing on my phone anyway, since it tends to mess up anything I'm trying to write. I'm too busy worrying that I'm actually writing what I'm typing to focus on important things like plot, characters, structure, etc.

If I can impart one piece of advice to anyone, it's this: don't bother trying to tell your family that you're busy writing. They will not care and will make every effort to pester you while you work since writing isn't "real" work. It really discourages me to be obviously busy, but never busy enough. Every time I bring it up, however, I'm being "lazy" and "dramatic". So I don't bother anymore. I just put up with being pestered while I work, no matter how hard it is to concentrate.

I learned more about Nevada glam farmhouses and my mom's obsession with the new Winnie the Pooh movie than I could focus on writing. Sorry if this is too scattered.

It's 81 degrees and 56% humidity.
It's too hot to write in my room.

Please, readers, for me:
Go Enjoy Something!

FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!