Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Talk About Tuesday: First Blizzard of 2021

 

In Which I Have A Good Excuse Today!



Probably 75% of the time when I have a late blog entry (or none at all!) it's because I'm lazy. I know, I know, that's such a shock (sarcastic eyeroll), but today is different, I swear!

Our power went out.

Because we're in the middle of a blizzard and there was a car accident somewhere nearby and it knocked out our power.

So I couldn't upload until now! I was going to! Was, in fact, just about to shut down today's playtime on Stardew Valley to start working on the blog, which was going to talk about how boring the snowstorm has been and how many ducks are in my yard and how Nolan the Farmer and Elliott the Writer have a kid now (Trish), but uh... boop! No power!

Now, I had internet because my old man has the net hooked up to a battery backup that worked, but I don't like running my computer off of battery (what with the last two laptops failing in the battery/power supply area) and I wasn't sure how long the power would be out (estimates were that it'd be off for maybe 5 hours!) but thankfully, the local guys got the power back up... 12 minutes ago. Two hours early.

If I was wearing a hat, I'd take it off to them.

It's been quite the day.

Here's my plan for the rest of the week into next week:
  • Thursday: More Art (probably won't be done with the digital bonkbubble) 
  • Weekend: Might do a tea review and/or a video game review but I can make no promises!
  • Next Monday: I hope I'm finished with the stocking, but who knows? Maybe the cuff will cause problems...
  • Next Tuesday: I'll be back to jaw atcha
I'd like to take a second here and say that I really, really don't like winter anymore. I used to love it as a kid, but like most people, once I started having to do things like shovel snow and walk on icy roads, it became a chore to even wake up after November...

Not to mention that I'm a wimp and hate being cold unless I'm wrapped in blankets and curled up in bed. Then I want my face chilly and my hands toasty. Unfortunately it tends to be the other way around...

Regardless, I'm beginning to hate winter a lot, and losing power in the winter is so much scarier than losing it in the spring through fall. Spring? Eh, it'll be a lil chilly but I'll be fine. Bored but fine. Summer? Ugh. Windows open, water in hand, but doable. Fall? Crisp and comfy, so I'm golden. Winter? Well... if it's out too long we'll have to go for an extended drive, I guess... hope you can catch the cat in the dark and put her in her carrier so she doesn't freeze in our heatless home...

So yeah. I'm whining right now.

But I'll bet you anything I'll wake up tomorrow, toasty-toed and swaddled in blankets, and look outside to the marshmallow world and think

"Dang"

"That's pretty"

And then I'll go downstairs and make my coffee while watching what seems like every Mallard duck in the state (seriously we had over 30 today, I counted about 15 pairs!) huddled under the bird feeders, all facing the same direction like boats anchored in a bay. I'll pet the kitty, curled up in the chair she probably kicked my mom out of at some point in the morning, and I'll sip my brew while thinking of story ideas. All of the stress from today will be forgotten in the face of a new day.

Not to be confused with the WWE tag team/stable.

I think I'll work on my book for a bit after posting this blog.

It's only taken 27 minutes from the power coming back on for most of my anxiety and bitterness to depart. I don't fear the cold like I should. I fear the dark. I can't see and I'm really clumsy. I hate accidentally stepping on cat toes.

Sorry this is a bit scattershot!

I hope you're all safe and cozy :)

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!