Thursday, May 12, 2022

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which It Has Been A Long Day


Today was way longer than it had any right to be lol! I got up at a reasonable hour, took my shower, and got dressed - it was going to be warm so I thought I was dressing well... not so much. It got up to 76℉/24,4℃! And the wind and cloud cover we were promised? Nowhere to be found. Hot, bright, still, and 57% humidity, it was quite the unexpected scorcher. Good thing I got my hair cut!

I also ended up getting Fiber Optic internet installed today! The installation guy was super nice, played with my cat, and knew my dad from a previous project at my dad's job! Very cool!

After my haircut, my mom and I went for a mini shopping trip, which ended with me getting new sandals.

But let's rewind to the early part of the day, where I was still long-haired and cranky, waiting for the appointed hour when I'd get half my head buzzed.

At that point I was painting!

I sat down with some references (thanks Google!) and decided it'd been too long since I'd painted a cityscape!

But I didn't want to have to deal with a huge wet piece of paper that would take forever to dry, so I took a piece of the awkwardly long & thin pieces of paper that came with my first metal palette and cut it into two much smaller much less awkwardly shaped pieces. I only managed one piece today, but I think it looks shockingly good!

"Cityscape"; watercolor; 2022

This is a first for me - I've never tried to work this small with this level of opaque color, and while the buildings did end up coming out patchy, I'm really pleased with the subtle shine on the left and the mountain mirage in the back! If I were to try again, I'd lay down my yellow in the upper left corner, my red in the upper right corner and my dark blue in the bottom right. I'd pull the colors from lightest to darkest to where they belong, and then I'd patiently wait for the paint layers to dry. I have so little faith in my own ability to glaze and layer. I need to be more confident.

I'm also pretty surprised with how opaque the white paint is! look how well that signature stands out!

I hope to paint a few more cityscapes, soon. I really like the way the buildings feel as I'm painting them.

Alright, I keep getting distracted playing with my hair so I think it's time for me to go to bed.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!