Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thursday Art Walk

 

Guess who forgot about blogging? I DID!


Today was... weird.

I woke up late. Showered late. Got all the bottles and cans in the house together late. Walked with a trash bag filled with returnables all the way uphill both ways to the redemption center.

It was closed.

I had to walk home with the bottles.

Ever walked around carrying 7 dollars worth of returnable cans? It's heavy.

I felt like an idiot, though in my defense, they're usually open til 4pm on Thursdays.

So I headed home, bottles on my back, circulation cut off by the ties on the bag, and luckily my mom was willing to give me a ride to the other bottle place, and even more thankfully they were open. So I dropped off the bottles, got my pocket change, and all was hunky dory as the old beans say.

And then it was time to give the cat Walkies.

And Sky showed up again.

Now, for the uninitiated, my cat goes for walks on her harness and our neighbor has a big gray barn cat named Sky. Sky is shy with people but apparently obsessed with my cat, so he'll continuously approach her making cute little kittenish meows.

And then she punches him.

Every time.

Lately, he's taken to baiting her into attacking by plopping his ample bottom onto her deck or her hollow underneath the birdfeeder. Basically, he's trying power moves on an 8lb cat who has no idea that her hot pink harness makes her look like a dingus. She is immune to his bulk, but not his sass, and he is not immune to her front paws.

Today he climbed her favorite tree.

Right in front of her.

Evie, predictably, said ABSOLUTELY NOT and chased him, causing a standoff where there were two chubby cats gripping onto the tree's trunks while my mother tried to calm them down.

"Standoff"; Watercolor on paper; 2022

Above is an artist's rendition (my own) of what I saw from my bedroom window. Evie was further up the tree, tail fat as a bottlebrush, and Sky was lower, growling with his frankly adorable kittenish voice. My mother was baby-talking them from three feet away, which is the closest any of us have really been to Sky, who is shy.

Evie has not yet attempted to throw hands with the orange boy kitty who flounces around the house at night and sings us the song of his people.

It's weird how quiet these cats are when they're calling to each other.

The dogs in this neighborhood go for it, all bellows and bays at the top of their lungs. The ducks cackles can be heard through shut windows and music. The chickens are unmatched. Even the recent addition of the sheep can be heard baaing from the end of the road.

But the cats are fairly quiet. If the window is open and I'm being quiet at midnight, I can sometimes hear Sky or the Orange Boy marrrooowwwwing their way around, but it's half-volume. I find it weirdly respectful.

Anyway, I'm pretty tired and had completely forgotten to post this blog until right before going to bed, so here ya go :)

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!