Monday, October 26, 2020

Fiber Monday - Witches Get Stitches

 

In Which I Am Le Tired


Once upon a time, I was capable of sleeping more than 4-5 hours at a time. Hopefully I'll get back to that soon, but last night was bad, bad, bad. I could not sleep. I could not concentrate. I couldn't relax. You might think the cup of mocha I had before bed had something to do with it, but no, it was decaf and I used half as much cocoa as usual. Was it the soreness of my legs and feet after a couple miles of walking around town on Saturday? Nah, I'm used to being sore - I'm just over 30, that's life. Was it the racket outside? Nah, dead silence.

So why did I stay up until dawn?

Because my brain is stupid and doesn't shut up, even when the rest of me screams at it to give it a rest already.

And also because I was starting to need a shower really badly - amazing how much oil can build up in your hair when you move around.

And also because I was trying to sleep. Because my brain hates it when I tell it to go to bed. Like a sullen toddler, it will pitch hissy fits and throw itself around in rage because it doesn't want to calm down and give me over to the sweet embrace of Morpheus (the god, not the hacker).

All that is to say:
I am a very sleepy potato.

I did come up with a pattern and (basically) finish it this week, though! I made a bright orange ball to stand in for a tangerine because I am going to be a capybara for Halloween. In my house. Because, y'know... Corona.


Tangerine Headband for Capybara Cosplay
  • The ball is made on a double magic ring (my first success at this method!), then you single crochet 6 into the ring, close it.
  • Next, you increase in each stitch around (12sc)
  • (Increase, sc) around (18sc)
  • (sc, increase, sc) around (24sc)
  • (increase, sc in next 3 sc) around (30 sc)
  • Sc around (30sc)
  • (sc in next 2, increase, sc in next 2) around (36sc)
  • Sc around for at least 3 more rows (36sc/row), moving on only when the ball is as tall as you like. I eyeballed it at 3 rows, but your mileage may vary.
  • (sc in next 2, decrease, sc in next 2) around (30sc)
  • (decrease, sc in next 3 sc) around (24sc)
  • (sc, decrease, sc) around (18sc). You may want to start stuffing here, as it will soon be too small an opening to stuff.
  • (decrease, sc) around (12sc)
  • decrease around (6sc) fasten off.
  • Sew the opening shut and either add a brown button or some felt or something (even a nice hefty knot of brown yarn works! to form the stem end.
  • Affix your new tangerine to a headband of your choice in the manner of your choosing. I'll probably be sewing mine on if I can't buy an appropriate headband - that way I can remove it later - but you could easily use hot glue or wire or whatever you think would work.
sc = single crochet
increase = single crochet two times in the same stitch
decrease = insert your hook into the stitch, yarn over and pull up, then insert your hook into the next stitch, yarn over, pull through all loops. Basically, you're making one single crochet over two stitches.

For the rest of this costume, I own a brown fleece from Lands End from probably 1999. It has grown shaggy and shapeless with age, but that's perfect for my purposes. I'll wear that, a pair of brown or tan pants, and my brown suede boots and boom - capybara lite.

In case you're wondering why, here's a picture of a capybara chilling with a tangerine balanced on its cute rectangular noggin:

Look at this majestic critter!

So yes, that's my inspiration this Halloween lol.

I also think I'll try to work on a few other projects related to the title, but we'll see if they come together in the next 5 days. I have my doubts, but I'll try anyway!

I have been working on my other projects, worry not, but I don't know man, I'm so tired all the time. Maybe I'll feel better after a nap!

Naps are good. I like naps.

I also like all of you, so please take it to heart when I tell you to

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!