Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Talk About Tuesday - The Importance of Being Cwispy

 

In Which I Am Very Odd

I'm a weirdo. There, I've said it.

Oh, you already knew?

Huh. Yeah, I probably should have guessed that, with how weird the blog can be and all...

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty weird. I do that whole rocking-to-self-soothe thing, I act out scenes from my books when I think no one's home, I draw the bubble art because I really dig repetitive motion with variation, I talk to my cat like she's a person (though I don't believe she's human - that's not healthy, she's a cat and I try to treat her like herself!), and I sing along with the radio when I know the music. I watch pro-wrestling and sumo wrestling. I cook weird stoner food despite having never smoked a joint in my life (or done any drugs at all, really). I pay too much attention to the color of the sky and the movement of the leaves and the way a squirrel hops. I drop my R's like a toddler when I'm joking with my partner because it sounds funny and makes both of us laugh. I come up with borderline-rude nicknames (whineoceros, for instance) for people. I watch weird YouTube videos that probably make people uncomfortable (though one of them got a TV show, so maybe not...)

I go through color phases in my wardrobe (it's a Green Day, just not the band. Yesterday was black & red). I go through book genre phases (noire! Victorian detective! Sci-Fi comedy! Fantasy! Urban Fantasy! Horror!). I go through art phases (bubbles! no, sketches! no, crayons! no, markers!). I go through music phases (all Irish! all metal! all classical! all synthwave! all 80s! and on and on). I go through times where I'm able to sleep no problem and times when sleep is as elusive as a clouded leopard in broad daylight.

And I'm sure all of you have weird things you do, too!

Thing is, we need to, as a society, embrace the weird.

We need to accept that people have different styles and ideal selves than what we've been trained to accept. Sometimes, people have Afros. Sometimes they wear mullets. Sometimes they want bright pink hair. Sometimes they want a sand dollar on their wrist, or their family tree on their back, or a pair of swallows on their chest, or their mother's favorite poem on their forearm. Sometimes they have scars. Sometimes they have voluptuous chests that clothes literally aren't sewn for. Sometimes they want to dress like it's 1845 and they live on the prairie. I don't really get why any of this is an issue, but apparently it's a huge issue to some people?

We really just need to chill.

Cultivate your own weirdness. Talk to your cat (though if she starts talking back without mechanical assistance, maybe see a doctor because either you're experiencing some illness or you have a legit miracle on hand and a doctor is legally not permitted to rat your magic cat out if you have them witness the talking first hand on your Zoom chat or whatever). Paint your paintings of pepperoni pizza ninjas (and let me see your art!). Write that song about the exact shade of blue the sky was that November day you went to your first convention (and let me hear it!). Cook that chili that you know no one else will be able to eat because you overloaded it with capsaicin (and tell me how it is!). Read that book you think you're too old for (and tell me about it!). Listen to that weird metal/jazz fusion band with the clowns (aren't they cool?!). Watch your favorite show. Read your favorite comic. Play your favorite game.

We only get between 60 and 100 years on this planet, if we're lucky. Up to about 120 if we're extremely lucky. And only parts of that time are really accessible for us as full and self-contained humans to enjoy as we wish. Enjoy what you enjoy when it causes no harm and share it with as many people as you can.

Not everyone will appreciate the same things as you, which is fine. We all like different things. But! You would be surprised how many people do like what you like. You'd be even more surprised at what they can introduce you to! We're all stuck in the same shared experience, after all, so why not really share it! Find your tribe, weirdlings! Find your people, share your weird with them, and accept their weird too!

Now Go Enjoy Something!
And share it with someone!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!