Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Talk About Tuesday... On Wednesday

 

In Which Tuesday Was Very Busy

I am winding down for the evening (well, technically early Wednesday morning, but gimme a break lol), so I'll make today's blog fairly brief.

Today was a day of getting out of town for a bit, because I live in an area with lower-than-the-national-average risk of COVID exposure. Some friends, my partner, and myself all piled in a car and went to another town and ate pulled pork sandwiches by the ocean, and it was awesome. We wore our masks. We socially distanced.

We were not, however, immune to reality creeping in.

Tuesday morning saw the sun being lightly filmed with a haze born from the wildfires devastating the opposite side of the continent. The fresh sea breeze was slightly salted and tanged with the touch of the hurricanes lining up like abusive suitors far to the south. Political survey people tried to knock on my front door and asked for me by name, though they seem to think my French Feminine name (on a person descended from both Scotch/Irish and German stock) is a British Masculine... My mother sent them on their way (thank goodness) none the wiser that there is no such person by that pronounciation.

You'd think that would have made the day anxious, but it didn't. None of it did.

We ate too much food by a beautiful waterfront, watching healthy mats of seaweed bob in the surf near the hewn stone below. We laughed. We talked about Dungeons & Dragons, about silly movies, about that cute orphaned sea otter I watch at night, about the food, about trips we could take in the future, people's families and their adventures (or misadventures).

And then one of the myriad little sparrows that had been investigating the area for potential dropped crumbs took flight.

And apparently it needed to clear some weight before it could properly lift off.

It crapped all over my folded hands, spattering a line of cold, slick-yet-gritty asphalt gray feces all over the heels of my thumbs.

In short, nature informed us it was time to go back into the car.

After copious amounts of hand sanitizer (in the car), a return trip to the house, several handwashings, depositing my nice yellow plaid flannel shirt in the wash with a dab or two of dishsoap on what I'm hoping were just meat-juice stains and not another bird's farewell, my partner and I settled into a sleepy torpor from which we only roused briefly to order a pizza for dinner (which was delicious - spinach & feta on garlic-parm sauce), argue laughingly over what YouTube videos to watch, and then to separate for the evening.

In short, today was great.

It never got above 65℉ (18.3℃), and right now I think it's about 45℉ (7.2℃). I'm in a green flannel shirt and capris, but I've snuck a flannel blanket bedecked in owls onto my bed, so I'm still deliciously chilly-yet-cozy. The tip of my nose is like ice, but my fingers still have some heat to them, so I'll call it a 100% win!

I'll be writing all day Wednesday (not counting this blog). Thursday I'll have some more art for you. I'll be writing Friday through Sunday, and Monday next should have a much more completed bag (with a bonus one day make for you!)

I think that'll about cover my Tuesday. I'm going to go brush my teeth and sleep deeply while dreaming of loaded pulled pork sandwiches, a warm hand in mine, and absolutely no bird poop.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!