Monday, August 24, 2020

Fiber Monday - Using Up The Scratchy Yarn

In Which I Worked On Something Different

Back when Over the Rainbow Yarn was open, I would pick up anything I could, especially on sale. Sometimes, that meant a sweet bunch of lime green or cerulean Uptown Worsted, and sometimes it was the lovely merino lace I'm using for the DA Lady Sibyl shrug... but sometimes it was on sale for a good reason. Take this bright yellow wool yarn, for instance...


Well, it's really more... mac & cheese/goldenrod colored in real life

It's... scratchy. Extremely scratchy. Unpleasantly so. So what do you make out of something that's a color most people would cringe at and a texture that only a crocodile could love?

Uh...

I decided to try making a beret. Specifically this one.

Do I know if it'll work? No. Do I know if it'll feel fine when worn? Nope. Do I worry that it'll be worthless and I've wasted hours of my life on an unusable hat? Kinda, but not really. Why? Because I can always frog it out if I fail.

Btw, I recently learned that "Frog" is a verb in knitting & crochet meaning "to break down a project back into its yarn". I've had to do that with this yarn several times. The good news is that every time I frog the project, the yarn gets a little softer, which gives me hope that with time (and probably a good washing or three) it'll be more comfortable.


I had to frog and restart because I forgot to read the instructions lol

So that'll probably do it from me, today. I'm a little tired, I need to pee, my partner is trying to sing a song about me to the tune of Marc Mero's theme (which is a little alarming because I do not at all look like Little Richard...). Now I'm off to see what I can snack on before I continue making this beret :)

Go Enjoy Something!

FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!