Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which I Am Working, I Promise :P


I'm still working on the bonkbubble piece, I swear! It's taking a long time because I do everything pixel-by-pixel, which takes FOREVER when the canvas is a justifiable 10k x 12k pixels square lol. I took a little break today, though, by trying to come up with concept thumbnails (not good ones - these thumbnails are rougher than pumice!) for potential scenes. These are... super undetailed.

All of the thumbnails

I'm not promising to work on all of these concepts (though it'd be neat to see them realized!), and I'm not 100% sure that any of these elements would remain if I did, but I like the idea.

So what's the idea?

Well, what if I did a bunch of limited-palette images where everything was red or blue or whatever? Here's what I came up with for each color of the rainbow (not counting black/white/gray)


A Red Cityscape

I've done these before - but never particularly detailed. They tend to be silhouettes against bright, saturated skies (and I would love to do another black-buildings-on-a-red-sky picture...), but this one should be different - I actually want to use multiple shades of red to form this image. I'd obviously have to use actual reference photos if I wanted it to not suck, but I'd be down for that!


An Orange Fantasy City

If you know me irl, you know I love fantasy. I love how weird things can get, how outrageous, how unnatural. I would love to take an orange color palette and make an amber city in an autumn forest! I just think it'd be neat :)
A Yellow... Fortress maybe?

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of yellow, so the only thing I could think of is the Thieves' Guild of Navarre in Trials of Mana, but... I don't want to do two desert images. Maybe a grasslands fortress? Maybe... maybe not. I don't know. Maybe I'd make a bee city in a grassland. That might bee more fun (no pun intended, but I went back and added that second e anyway).


An Indigo Library


Huh. Not sure why this is out of order, but I love the idea of a library rendered in indigo! Not 100% sure how that would work in practice, though, since Indigo doesn't tend to have shades/hues in digital art...

Regardless, I'd want to try!

Just think, infinite bookshelves leading back to a pinprick of light - the unused exit - while in the foreground, someone's assembled themselves a cozy reading area! Love the concept.


A Blue Undersea Scene

I don't know, guys. I love the idea of an underwater scene, but should it really be blue? Isn't that kinda... normal? I'm not a normal kinda artist, though... regardless, I'd love to draw a scene with some sort of building covered in coral, another made from the skull of a long dead sea behemoth, a kelp forest in the distance... sounds fun! And terrifying. Because I won't be able to look at reference photos very much since I have a pretty unfun case of thalassophobia...


A Green Hut

Y'all know what I'm not afraid of? Swamps and moors and little cottages! I even have a story that takes place in a place like this - a semi-retired bard, who is an ex-adventurer, settling down to try and teach the nearby villagers' children music, but he keeps getting interrupted by inconsiderate dragons. This piece should be really fun :)

A Violet Desert

At first blush, this concept seems... empty, doesn't it?

I really want the land and silhouetted mountains/buttes to give a sense of emptiness and loneliness, drawing the viewer up to the sky and the millions of stars I want to scatter across the violet heavens! I'm really looking forward to this one!

So that's what I'm looking at as future projects. Maybe. If I get around to them. And don't find another shiny new toy.

But they are pretty strong concepts, I think, and I look forward to making them, ya know, look good. Instead of sloppy. Because right now those are so flipping sloppy.

In my defense, they're only about two inches (5cm) across...

And I kinda drew over some really smudgy pencil.

I might also be losing a knock-down-drag-out fight against the urge to nap, which has consumed me all week.

I'm not running a sleep deficit or anything. I'm not even feeling particularly depressed. I just feel like napping all the time. This happens every so often. I'll snap out of it eventually lol!

Anyway, I think I'll go find some more inspiration on the internet and look up some reference photos (if I do end up doing these pieces, I will share my references, I promise!)

That'll do it for me!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!