Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which I have A Rough Sketch To Share!



I'm still learning digital art, so bear with me, but I think I've got a good start going on this drawing I'm doing of a rave cat!

If you're wondering why I'm drawing a digital art piece of a rave cat, uh... it's kind of a dumb inside joke involving the game Beat Saber, a friend, and their cat being very interested in what they're up to. My drawing doesn't look ANYTHING like their cat, though, so just enjoy a silly rough draft of a drawing of a cat at a rave!

"RaveCat 01" digital only!


The shadow you see under the image is my outline/gesture drawing. I just kinda forgot to remove that layer before saving as a jpg to share it on her.

My usual process for digital is something like this: I take my base color and reduce the Alpha to about... 80? Then I start sketching out scribbly shapes, scribbling madly until the shapes begin to look more like actual limbs or heads or whatever. Then I start applying my first layer of color (orange), then more layers of color get added, and eventually I'd get around to lineart (you can see the beginnings around one hand and the rave locs). I'm going to fix her shoes eventually, maybe undo her dress and replace it with uh... a more visible one lol. I might do a few layers on the dress with different colors and different percentages.

I don't have a very good grasp on the language of digital art, so if you're someone who does this, please shoot me suggestions ("get photoshop" isn't the kind of suggestion I'm talking about here - I have a hard enough time with paint.net and I am completely lost so far on Krita, which I downloaded today and 100% botched the first draft of this on). I'm always eager to learn new stuff :D

I might try a version of this with traditional art some time too!

For any teacher out there, btw, who thinks "digital art is easier" somehow, please know that you're wrong. I've been drawing and painting for close to 25 years, and I find a set of watercolors and a nice sheet of rag paper 100000000% easier to control and understand instinctively than digital art. I am having to work a lot harder to figure out how each layer works with the others, and I don't think I'll ever 100% get it. Also, just... remember that art changes over time. If you accept anything other than cave paintings, you understand this.

Alright, that'll about do it for me!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!