Thursday, December 8, 2022

Thursday Art Walk

 

In Which Art Practice Continues


Last week, I think I mentioned that I'm practicing with Krita and my new 2-in-1 laptop/tablet thingy. This week, I have a piece that I did 100% in Krita with the pen! Is it hyper-realistic? No. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I am more prone to simplistic, chunky, goofy art rather than intensely realistic art. Especially when it's my early attempts at digital art!

"Wombuddy"; digital art, 2022


So this scribbly little guy is something I'm shockingly proud of. I have very little idea what I'm doin in Krita, so having something come out roughly the way I want is always a fun surprise! I'm especially pleased with his blocky head and tiny eyes, to be honest.

Pieces like this Southern Hairy Nosed wombat are excellent teachers, I've found. They may not be the most refined images, but from this little guy, I learned that: 

1) I can absolutely create art in Krita with the 2-in-1
2) Reducing animals down to their basic shapes (squares, triangles, circles) will absolutely give you the character and essence of those creatures when you draw them
3) Refining images can take a long time and you don't always end up with as fun a drawing as when you leave it a little messy
4) Using your shadow tone (a dark teal in this case) as the undertone for the entire body makes everything look more cohesive and works with the image.
5) signatures are hard. Use smaller brushes for that.

I have done some more practice drawings both before and after the Wombuddy, but he's the one that stuck out the most, so into the blog he goes lol.

How about the rest of you - do you have any digital art tips/tricks?

Also, if you want to have a say in next Thursday's art, feel free to go over to my Ko-fi account, buy me a coffee, and leave a message telling me which of the following categories you'd like to see next:
  • Animal
  • Vegetable
  • Mineral
  • Dedbert
  • Location
  • Geometric
  • Word
In the meanwhile, though,

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!