Monday, January 16, 2023

Fiber Monday

In Which I Have Progressed!


This past week, I have been plugging away at my shawl. While I didn't have any crazy one-hour sessions, I did make some decent progress. Sure, I didn't have a single session longer than 22 minutes, but I did have seven sessions, and at this point, I'm favoring consistency over volume. So here are this week's pictures!

The first video I watched was a 18 minutes, 38 seconds long
and brought me to about 38.5" of width

I made it to 39" wide after a 16 minute, 7 second video

And another 17:53 took me to 43"

+18:48, 43.5"

+13.24, 47"

+20:31, 47.5"

And finally, +21:58 got me to about 49" wide!


My first shawl is a humongous 72" wide (or so, with the lace edging included), but I think this one will be warmer, more compact, and heavier. Perhaps it will stretch much wider.

Now, in case you're curious, I increased the width of my shawl from 36.5" to 49" over the course of about 2 hours, 7 minutes, 19 seconds. That gives me an average increase of approximately 5.9" per hour.

If we do more math (sorry, I'm feeling mathy today, bear with me), we can see that it has taken me 5 hours, 26 minutes, 54 seconds to make a 49" wide shawl, meaning that I can make about 9" of progress every hour. This method of tracking isn't quite accurate, though. Why? Because every single row takes longer to complete than the previous row! There are more stitches in every single row.

So why the math? Because I'm curious how long it takes me to finish a solid double crochet triangle shawl made from a single skein, and the only way to do that is to keep track! It's good to know what you can get done in a time limit and with limited supplies, after all.

I'll have more updates next week, but don't be surprised if it's somehow less work done than this week - I'll be taking the weekend off for family! My yarn and hooks will remain untouched from probably Friday through Sunday. As for tonight, though, I'll be hanging up the yarn until tomorrow. I'm sleepy and chilly and satisfied with today's progress. Actually, I'm wearing the sweater I made last year, so that's a lot of fun!

I'd love to hear how your own projects are going, either in the comments or under wherever you found this blog or heck, even @ me on Twitter (@TheFilthyCasua8)! I am very shy in DMs, though, so if you send me one and I don't respond, it's because I'm in a sweaty mess trying to figure out how to say hello lol.

That'll do it for me tonight.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!