Monday, March 21, 2022

Fiber Monday

 

A Tour Of New Crochet Accoutrements


It's been a bit since I've had new crochet stuff to talk about! Well... new for a given value of the word.

One of my older relatives is getting, well, older, and she decided she'd like to give me her crochet supplies. She gave me yarn, books, embroidery thread, stitch counters, patterns, and hooks!


The First Box of thread!

Box #2

Box #3!


Now, you may be thinking "FC, you don't embroider or cross stitch, do you?" and the answer to that is... not well. I don't do it well. Yet. However, I do want to. My dad can cross stitch - each kid's bedroom had a little framed cross stitch hoop when I was little (my room had a little dog in a doghouse with a bone!) that he made. I really wish I knew where those went. They're probably in a box somewhere.

At the very least, I now have thread colors for repairs, learning to embroider on eyes/noses, etc!


One of 2 Stitch Counters - I found the other one after I'd already put my phone away lol


I've never had a counter before, much less two! You change the numbers by twisting the ends. They're only 2-digit counters, so they'll be more useful for rows right now on a certain project...


One of my new Hooks! This one's a 2.75mm hook!

Another New Hook! This one is a 4.25mm hook!


Along with those two hooks, I got three big 10mm/N hooks - two plastic and one aluminum. Those hooks are best for afghans, which I might make at some point. I'm beginning to have enough scrap balls for a scrapghan...


A bunch of patterns and books!
Plus some color-holders!


There are so many of these smaller books! Some of them are filet crochet patterns, some are doilies, some are how-to guides, and some are toys, and I haven't gone all the way through yet, but boy are they fun looking!


A haul of yarn!


There is a red & black glittery yarn, a green glittery yarn, a purple ombre, and three fun multicolor stripe yarns here! I'll have to use these yarns to make some fun things. Also, there was one small hank of buttery yellow embroidery thread that I'll have to pop back in one of those boxes so it doesn't go walkabout in the room.


Finally, there's probably the most prized possession in the lot:


Steel crochet hooks in a vinyl snap case

It's in such amazing condition, don't you think?


I am told that these steel hooks belonged to my great, great grandmother on my father's mother's side.

Wow.

I am in awe. These hooks do have a little rust here and there, but I will be taking excellent care of them. The snap case now lives in a secure drawer and I will be very, very careful using them. They're old enough that they don't have modern numbering on them. I had to look up what a 00 hook was, and there's a hook in there that is so fine and tiny that I swear you could crochet a single human hair with it.

They are incredible, and I'll never stop being grateful. You'd best believe I'm working on a thank you card! Hopefully I can include something pretty made using those hooks!


In less sentimental and more blog-based news, guess what I finally did this week?


Yup, finally hit up the Wally with my folks.


This means that I can finally finish up that Mystery Project I've been waffling on for months lol!


Stay Tuned for the Return of the Mystery Project, coming next week!

Yes, I worked on the Mystery Project this week, no it wasn't enough to qualify for another part. I hope to have the next part of the pattern out next Monday, though, so make sure to come on back!


That'll about do it for me, guys. It's past 10pm, and I'm still hooking along. Hopefully I'll finish this section and start on the next by the 28th!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!