Monday, August 15, 2022

Fiber Monday

In Which It's Not the Secret/Mystery Project
But It's Still Cool!

Last week, I posted a picture of one of the thread-based crochet projects I was working on - a pair of lovely lacy gloves from 1943. I had only a couple of sections done, and today I'm pleased to announce that I have finished...

The fronts & backs of each hand.

I still have to sew them together and add the thumbs.

These are made from the same ecru crochet thread as the other project,
and the pattern is quite elegant!


It's a little easier to see the lovely filet pattern on this shot

I have a few... concerns about this 1940s pattern. For one, these hands look awfully narrow, and while I'm certain that adding the thumb will give a lot of wiggle room, I'm concerned that each finger might be too narrow. I also am concerned that it will be hard to round the fingers as I'm sewing them. I do, however, have a possible solution to that.

Instead of sewing the palms and backs to each other, I may just try to crochet them to each other using either single or half-double crochets, depending on how tight the squeeze is. This is, of course, a very experimental approach, since I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm willing to try!

I'm also using this project as a way to test out the pricing guide I'm putting together for myself, so I recorded about how long it took me to work on this altogether!

So far, these gloves have taken approximately nine and a half hours to make. That's... not a very quick make. By my math, these gloves are probably around 30 bucks. Which... is actually in keeping with the Etsy estimates! I think my math may be good! Yay!

Now, I am actually keeping on with the big crochet-along Mystery/Secret Project I started ages ago, but my first few attempts at sewing today did not go well. I'll have to carry on with that later in the week I think lol!

As for the rest of tonight, I think I'll relax for a bit and then go to bed. I've been sleeping very poorly and I'd like to get some real rest.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!