Monday, August 1, 2022

Fiber Monday

 

In Which More Progress, however small, Has Been Made


When last we saw the Secret Project, it was getting super close to being done, and now we're even closer!

But not quite finished yet.

Today, I made three rings from copper wire and held them together with pipefitter's tape. Friction tape of any kind would work for this, including medical tape, but sticky tape probably wouldn't work well. See, making the rings small enough to function as a spot to join the strap to the body and serve as a front closure means there's not a lot of room to maneuver the tape without getting it stuck where you don't want it if it's sticky. If it's a friction-based tape like pipefitter's tape, then you can just cut lengths and they'll go through easily until you tighten the wrap.

Three Rings! They're each about the size of a nickel, possibly bigger.


You can use any kind of ring you want, and if you use premade ones, you (probably) won't even have to put tape on them! I Have the tape on mine because I didn't want the ends of the wire poking through the next step.

I also took this opportunity to finish the little hanging loop!

The hanging loop is a few slip-stitched rows of the red color, approximately 4" long. I folded that in half and then put 3 single crochet stitches through both ends, binding them together. After that, I made a ch1, then placed a single crochet in the back loops of each single crochet, turned, and went back around, making a sc in the remaining loops of those original 3 sc. After that, I increased from 6 sc to 12 sc by placing 2sc in each sc. At that point I tied off the loop.


This red ring will be for the closure!

To crochet over the closure ring, take your cap color and find a point on the ring, then put your hook through, yarn over, and holding onto the tail, pull the caught loop through to form a slip stitch. From there, treat the ring as though it was a magic ring, holding onto the tail. You don't have to be too terribly picky about how many single crochets you make around this ring, just try to minimize any gaps! Once you have covered the entire ring, slip stitch into the first sc made and fasten off.


A Finished Beige Ring


Cover the other two rings with single crochet in the same way as the first, using your body color (beige in my case). These will be used to sew on the strap!


All Three Finished Rings


When you've finished your rings, go back to that loop you made earlier and slip-stitch it into place on the top of the cap of the bag! Now you have a hanging loop!

The ridge left behind will eventually be covered up - stay tuned for next week!

I hope to have the bag 100% assembled and finished next week, but we'll see. I've been saying that for the last ten weeks haven't I? lol!

That being said, I've learned a lot from this crochet-together project, and I hope you all have, too! If you've been working along with me, I'd love to see some of your guys' progress! Feel free to, if you have Twitter, tag me in a picture of your work! If you have Instagram, I'm there, too, as Grumpmuffin89, so if you know what you're doing there, hit me up because I'm all the way out in the weeds and it's incredibly confusing.

That'll about do it for me tonight - I'm hot and sweaty and ready for beddy. If you have any requests for Thursday's art blog, please feel free to send me a Ko-Fi with a message telling me what category (refer to my "commission" page in the sidebar for categories) and don't forget to...

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!