Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Talk About Tuesday

 

In Which Tuesday Happened lol


I mentioned yesterday that a lot happened between last Tuesday and this Tuesday, so I shall explain a bit, though it will likely be as disjointed as usual since my brain is, predictably, pudding.

I mentioned some crochet related stuff yesterday, but that's all in yesterday's blog, so go ahead and check that out if you're curious about bag design and Gordon the Gordian Knot.

As for the other things I mentioned, here you go.

I helped my mother make boiled frosting on Sunday. It was not easy, since we don't have an electric hand mixer, and one of the things you have to do with boiled frosting is beat at rapid speeds over high heat. Being a generally helpful person, I offered to help do the mixing. I've whipped dalgona coffee by hand before, so this shouldn't be too different, right?

Wrong.

Whipping room temperature coffee to soft peaks is vastly different from standing over a double boiler in August while rapidly sloshing around egg whites and sugar with a whisk.

So I asked if we still had the immersion blender. Similar action, right? Rapid mixing and aeration, right?! We did have it, but I had forgotten the blasted thing is slightly broken in that it does not stay running, you have to hold the button down the whole time. It... mostly worked, but the problem quickly became that it was not working fast enough, so...

We moved the double boiler off the stove and under the stand mixer.

Problem:

Stand mixers have locking bowls for a reason, and the pot from the double boiler does not lock down.

Second Problem:

My mom is left handed. I am right handed. The controls are on the left side of the mixer.

Needless to say, there was a minor incident that splattered the entire kitchen in soft-peaked egg whites and sugar. It also spattered me. The pot holders my mom was using to help hold the pot still were completely slathered in the frosting.

But the frosting got made! And as hot and frustrating as the process was, it was really fun to problem-solve with my mom. We mostly just snark at things together, so trying to figure something out was cool, and, even better, it worked!

And so did my attempt to clean the pot holders! I took them outside, tossed them on the driveway, and grabbed the garden hose. It had a gentle shower attachment on it for watering my mother's gardens (she's got some really nice roses and other flowers going right now!), so I popped that off and used my thumb to pressurize the stream. Within a few minutes all of the frosting was off the pot holders and my thumb was wrinkly lol.

I also tried some fruit from a fruit salad my mom was eating and discovered that, yeah, it would seem I'm still allergic to melons. Your mouth shouldn't burn like you've licked the side of a tea kettle when you eat melons, apparently.

So that was my kitchen adventures this week!

I also mentioned spiders yesterday.

I have a single window in my room, and in that window, I have a fan. When I use that fan to bring air into my room, sometimes insects, usually gnats, come in. I don't like bugs in my bedroom, so when I have spiders that move in on the far side of my room I'm perfectly okay to let them stay there. They're paying rent. They stay.

They're also usually about the size of a polystyrene pellet - the kind that were inside Beanie Babies in the 90s.

Night before last, I came into my room after 10PM and there was a much larger spider, about the size of a dime, legs included, on my ceiling. It was too late to grab the vacuum, and then it crawled to the Spider Acceptable side of the room, so I left it. It's still sitting above the far corner of my window. If it decides to move, I will be forced to evict it.

I'm down with feeding spiders with the bugs from my fan.

Not with my own flesh.


Anywho, the third thing I mentioned was how awesome my friends are. Over the course of about 4 hours, my friends found out my guy needed a new bed, found a bed online, picked it up, and then helped him get it inside and set up! Seriously, they're some of the best human beings on earth! What a turnaround!


Now as for today, I must regretfully confess that I did... nothing. I did absolutely nothing.

I woke up at a reasonable hour, drank coffee, and then I checked the temperature and it was already 77℉/25℃ at 9AM. I was not going to go for a walk. I was right to stay in. I wilt in high temperatures and it was 83℉/28,3℃ with 72% humidity this afternoon. I'd have been truly miserable. Instead, I stayed in and pretended I was going to finish detangling Gordon the Gordian Knot. It did not happen.

I watched some YouTube vids, cuddled the cat, and drank more coffee, but today was entirely unproductive with this blog post as the only exception.

Hopefully the next week has me do these things:

  • tomorrow I'd like to paint something - if you want to have a say in that something, drop me a donation on Ko-Fi with a message letting me know what category (Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, Dedbert, Word, Geometric, Location)!
  • Thursday I'll post a blog with the art!
  • Maybe I'll talk tea on Sunday? I'd like to start talking about tea.
  • If there's a quiet, cooler day this week, I'd like to take a walk. If I do, I'll try to remember my Goblin's Purse from yesterday and then take a pic of whatever I find lol!
  • Next Monday I'll have something yarn/crochet related
  • Next Tuesday I'll blather at you some more!

For now, however, I'm going to relax and rest and hope that the spiders respect my personal space.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!