Thursday, May 7, 2020

Thursday Art Attempt 320

In Which I *TRIED* To Make Art

So you haven't seen many examples, but one of my favorite art forms is watercolor. I love painting with watercolors. I find it very relaxing, I love how dreamy the colors can be, and I really enjoy the process.

Unfortunately, I forgot to close my door today.

So I ended up with a "helper"

Evie cannot be around the watercolors when they're out, since they're not pet-safe, so I had to wait for her to decide to leave my room.

Guys, that was three. Hours. Ago.

She's still in here, wandering around, giving me death glares when things aren't to her liking. My allergies are acting up. I won't be able to finish this piece today :( BUT! I did get an undersketch done. Check back next week to see if I managed to finish this watercolor of a cityscape!

Now, a few extra wrinkles:

  • I haven't used this kind of watercolor paper before. I haven't had much luck with the paper tablets you can get at most stores, because I tend to work very wet, and that just... mushes the paper up. I prefer a good cotton paper like Arches or something. Still, this is what I found, and as far as practice goes, this should help.
  • It's been over a year since I painted anything. Hopefully I've still got it.
  • I don't know what colors to make this. It's a four-layer image: background of the sky, mountains, cityscape, and foreground of a park. I usually just do two layers (sky and city), so I'm not sure what colors to make things. Mostly, I need help with the foreground (do I just do darkened shades of what the actual park colors would be or should I go with a monochrome effect?) and the background (I know the top is black, but what should it fade down to? Is this black-to-purple, black-to-red, black-to-green?!)
  • I don't 100% remember how to watercolor paint properly, so if this comes out looking like garbage, we'll blame my poor practicing, right?
Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting back into watercolor again :)

What are you guys up to, art-wise?

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!