Saturday, January 5, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 201

Welcome to the first casual game of 2019!

This is Death By Obsession by WigDev - a short keyboard-only game of timing, strategy, and hallucination.

Ahh, that sweet, classic MS Paint adventure game look.
It's like coming home!

I stink at games like this. I have neither the patience nor the attention span, but one of you might finish this game and let me know how it ends, since I've kind of gotten my self... stuck.

On the third or fourth level.

Derp.

The music is interesting, being primarily piano midi played rapidly, but it's also pretty neat!

I like the story, too - you're Sarah, and your brother Daniel was kidnapped in the night by monsters who came to steal your treasure. Considering what your character looks like and the fact that she's "talking" to Daniel every so often, I'm not entirely sure that the monsters stole anything from her, but I don't know the ending, so for all I know, I'm barking up the wrong tree.

So, you've got three goals for each level: Least Steps to the End, 100% Gold, Collect All Possible Deaths.

I cannot do least steps because I have no strategy bones. None. Not a strategy bone in my body.

100% Gold, I've done so far (on the three levels I've completed), and it's a challenge, but when you're focusing on that linear progression, it's easier to get things right.

Deaths are fun to collect - you let yourself be mauled, drained, eviscerated, crushed, dropped, etc.

Good times. Good times.
I'm not going to spend too much time talking about this game, since it's good, but it's not really my speed. I thought it might be (adventure junkie that I am) but the mechanics are more Atari than Nintendo and I'm more a Nintenderp than an Atarme.

Positives:
  • Creative premise
  • Neat art
  • Cool music
  • Pretty good writing - I haven't noticed a lot of typos!
  • Free to play!
Negatives:
  • Not necessarily going to be your favorite game if you're bad at strategy
  • Probably not available on mobile
  • Flash-based so it won't work on every computer
Bear in mind, though, that all of these "negative" points are purely subjective. Objectively, this is a good, well made game. The controls respond well, the gameplay is fun (if you like strategy), and the meat & bones of the game (the art, music, & writing) are awesome.

If you're looking for a strategy game to take up some time with, why not head over to Kongregate and give Death by Obsession a try?

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!