Saturday, January 19, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 203: Card Hunter


Card Hunter is a D&D style RPG game where you're playing yourself playing a Dungeons & Dragons style game with a nerd and his overbearing jerkwad brother while the nerd (your DM) fails at flirting with the pizza delivery girl. I'm sure the tofu & pineapple pizza is supposed to make you dislike your DM. I'm also sure I'd probably like it. I'm weird like that.

Available on Steam & Kongregate, this game was made by BlueManchu, AchieveZen, Farbs, & FlaxativeCH back in 2014 (on Kongregate, at least). I've recently started the Steam version for giggles, and since I had forgotten how the tutorial levels worked.

You start off with three premade characters who you play, miniature-style, on a board. Your cards dictate whether or not you can move or attack or block, and they make the difference between your dwarf fighter kicking butt or just loafing in a corner while your mage murders everything.

The game does a great job of explaining everything to you, but if you like D&D but you also like trading card games, this is an amazing hybrid!

I mean, miniatures with cards! What could be cooler?!
The only quibble I have is that their premium accounts are on timers. You can't just be like "here's a hundred bucks, stop pestering me and give me the good loot". You have to basically resubscribe every year. Or week. Yikes.

I guess that's only a quibble because I'm cheap.

Regardless, I appreciate the use of pizza as a premium currency, lol. You're bribing the DM for good loot with pizza, which, when I was a DM, probably would have worked like a charm...

For everything else, there's in-game Gold.
I have been having fun with this game, and I hope you do too!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!