Saturday, August 4, 2018

Casual Gaming Saturday 8

Game: Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
Publisher/Developer: Codename Entertainment Inc
Platforms: PC (Steam), Android, iOS

I'm a huge nerd. If you guys weren't already made aware of this by the fact that I started a blog about video games, bad movies, and wrestling (among other, more domestic pursuits), then you probably weren't paying much attention. But the fact remains - I'm a huge, dorky nerd.

When I was in middle school, one of my friends told me he wanted to play Dungeons & Dragons. We met at his house and ate pizza and drank soda until we were a barely coherent mess, drafting up bizarre characters. We had a drunkard Githyanki monk, a very unlucky demi-human fighter with her own superhighway between the afterlife and this one (raise dead is not cheap), and my rather foolhardy human sorceress who wound up with an 18 in Charisma. We were not hurting for spells at all.

Our DM was a wildcard. Some weeks it'd be the usual orc slaying, but others found us literally marching through the hells as a favor to a god of chaos and madness. On one of the more bizarre trips, we wound up with Bob. Bob was a psionic cow. Bob had milk that could raise the dead, but at a cost. Whoever was brought back would be temporarily transformed into a chicken. That'd be too normal if it was just a chicken, so of course, the chickens were fully sentient and breathed fire.

Fire was kind of a theme with our campaigns... I found an infinite wand of fireballs that recharged each day, a teapot that would pour out lava when heated, and eventually, Bob psionically dominated a freaking dragon.

Hell rued the day we showed up. None of the demons were sad to see us go.

But this isn't about my weird initial forays into the world of D&D, no. This game places you in control of some recognizable characters (though, to be honest, I didn't read a lot of the Forgotten Realms series, so I only really recognized the RA Salvatore characters of Bruenor and Jarlaxle). You level the characters up, click on enemies, and gain gold and equipment as you progress.

I won't go too in-depth on the characters, but I will say this: Bruenor and Jarlaxle are hilarious. Bruenor is your grumpy grandpa who just wants all these problems to disappear under his boots. Jarlaxle is a Millennial. I kid you not, the drow is absolutely a Millennial, and it's glorious.

Right now, and only until August 6, 2018, you can try to unlock characters from the infamous Wafflecrew from the Dungeons & Dragons internet show "Dice, Camera, Action". I'm in the midst of trying to unlock Diath Woodrow during this Midsummer event. Why specifically Diath?

Because I'm a ProJared fan.

And Diath Woodrow is ProJared's character.

And the only reason I decided to play this game was because he was so tickled that his character was in the game!

Actually, I'll let him tell you all about it!


So yes, I chose it from a fan's point of view. It combines all my favorite things in life: idle games, D&D, and possibly the biggest nerd on earth.

Now if I could only get past the major boss blocking that sweet Diath action...

This has been the Filthy Casual
Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!