Saturday, August 11, 2018

Casual Gaming Saturday 9


Game: Fragment Hunter
Created by: mmx95 and bezmie
Platform: PC (Kongregate)

You find yourself in a strange place with no knowledge of who you are or why you’re there. Something is missing. A lot is missing. You have no name. No memory.

You have no clothes.

You do have a club.

You rob a scarecrow.

You take a walk towards a gate where a guard treats you like crap.

That’s… that dialogue was probably translated from another language.

This game is another idle RPG where you’re a nameless, amnesiac being with no facial features beyond a pair of almost comically dark green eyes. You stand at the ready, prepared to kill all foes, but there’s spots, here and there, where it becomes fairly obvious that the developers are maybe not native English speakers who might not realize that “With each day their attacks all is stronger and more ruthless” is maybe not a proper sentence.

Then again, it’s always addictive to really make improvements to your weapons and armor while you punch, stab, throw knives, or cast spells through your enemies.

Why are they your enemies? Did you piss them off? You may never find out – especially if you don’t really sink some time into this game.

It’s super easy to sink time into Fragment Hunter, since it’s a turn-based/idle hybrid with minimalist graphics (not Trimps-level minimalist, there’s some animation and character design here).

I’ve just given you the basic story: you have no memory. Someone eventually offers to help with that, but the whole plot seems to be “remember what a badass you were, even though you’re inexplicably useless now”.

It’s not exactly the easiest game to play with multiple tabs open, since it’s a bit less idle than some games (your character goes back to the starting area on death, so it can be pretty hard to level up when you’re not paying direct attention.

If you’ve played a generic fantasy game, you’ve seen this world-setting. Quaint forests, killer bees, wolves wanting to tear your throat out, etc, etc, etc. Fortunately, between the town and its healing crystal and various watch-towers and abandoned farms on the maps, you have plenty of places to replenish magic and health between murder sprees.

This is a pretty great game, to be honest. While some of the language is, admittedly, a bit awkward, the story itself is pretty fun to go through, and even though dying is a pain in the butt, it’s not so annoying that I’ve ever ragequit. I will say this, as well – there’s something satisfying about watching your paper-doll figure scoot across the screen while the red numbers tell you how hard you hit that wolf that killed you the last three times you tried for this screen.

It seems, from the changelogs at least, that this game has been around since the autumn of 2017, so I’ve been playing this game for about 2 years and rarely get much further than the third or fourth world. I’m super casual, so that’s why.

I’ve changed computers since I last played this game, so all of my Fragment Hunter files were lost, but thankfully, I like to replay games from the beginning, so this is pretty fun. The snakes and wolves are utterly destroying me, but that’s fine – I have to relearn the whole game! Sometimes, starting over is the best part of going back to an old game.

If you’re wondering why I haven’t said anything about sound design, that’s because I’m pretty sure there isn’t any. As far as I can tell, this game has no sound. At least, I haven’t found an options button so far (but then, I’m not even past the first boss, so technically I’m in Tutorial mode…).

I think that does it for this fun little game (it’s not that little if I’ve been playing it for two years and still haven’t beaten it…), but if you’re interested, the link to it is here.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC




PS: If there's no food tomorrow, I'm sorry. I haven't really been able to cook this week. I'll do my best, but if it comes down to it, don't be too upset if it's just a way to enjoy toast or something? Please? I'll do my best, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!