Monday, August 6, 2018

Fiber Monday 9: Finale 1!

So, it's come to this.

On a day when it was already 85℉ with 53% humidity and both rising, we have come to the end of the massive purple scarf. Also, le chat is quite melted today.

She's near the AC, so she's absolutely zonked.

That's right, guys, we have finished the scarf!

So how do you finish a project in crochet?

What follows is my best attempt at making this work:

So you've finished your project and are at the end of your last row?

You want to end at the end of a row on a project like this. I haven't yet found a pattern that calls for finishing in the middle of a row or round, but I'm sure they're out there. I've learned that rules in crochet are pretty fast and loose, since the end result is the important part.

Pull that last loop waaaaaaay out. It will help form our weaving tail.
I apologize for the quality of the photos. My phone has been... stubborn as of late. But yes, you want to make one more chain, as though you're going to turn and resume the project. Since I'm basically out of purple yarn, this project is DONE, but you can continue ad infinitum, so long as you have the supplies and patience.

Had to move the project to the couch - I have a no scissors near the laptop rule.
Now, you want to clip the yarn that leads to the ball, not the yarn in the loop itself, so be careful and take notice of what you're doing. Once you've done that, tug on the loop to pull the tail through the knot. Do not tug the tail - that would unravel the whole project if you tugged long enough!

Wow. Color balance much? But yeah, you want the resultant knot to look like this.
With your knot set, it's time to grab a smaller hook than you've been  using or a yarn needle. Every one of my yarn needles (I've had about a dozen, both plastic and metal) have gone walkabout, so a snagged my trusty B hook for this. You want something that'll grab the yarn without deforming the stitches you've already put together.

You do not have to buy hooks like this if you don't want to. I just like this one.
You can slip your hook up into the first stitch after the knot, grab the yarn and pull it through!

ugh. camera. why.
So, you do this along several different stitches - whichever ones strike your fancy, really. I try to do a step pattern from the edge towards the center, moving down a row every few times. It might not look right at first. Try it again and again until you find a way of doing it that appeals to you!

At some point, I find it useful to add a knot somewhere along the way, just for stability (in case some of your weaving comes out).

I'm going through the v-shape at the base of a stitch here, do it wherever works for you.

I'm sorry it's blurry. I've just paused in the middle of pulling the yarn through to make a loop.

See? Loop. And this is the clearest of 3 attempts. Yikes.

Pull your tail through the loop to make a tiny knot.

And then you continue weaving until you have no tail!

And that's it! No more scarf project!

I hope you guys enjoyed this project. I'm planning to do a slightly more in-depth project in the coming week, though it'll be far smaller.

Stay tuned for a washcloth project!

Go Enjoy Make Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!