Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Wednesdaymania 306

A Brief Overview of the Past Week or So In Wrestling
I'll admit, I haven't been following wrestling as closely as I usually do - I've been tired, busy, and occasionally unwell this week, after all! But, I can tell you this: Wrestling is still awesome.

WWE:

  • I'll be honest, I haven't been keeping up very well with WWE lately, but it cracks me up that someone hollered "YOWEE-WOWEE" to The Fiend during a match. I love it when fans try to pop wrestlers (making people laugh)
  • I hope everyone's safe - I know there have been/are snow concerns, and since so many wrestlers are from warm states, it's a little scary to think that they maybe haven't got a lot of experience with winter driving. More reasons for company buses, even though the risk of massive talent injury if there is an accident increases the more you consolidate travel.
  • If you were thinking about buying WWE stock, now's the time. Last I heard, it was in the fifty-buck-a-pop range.
  • They fired their CEOs... which is triggering panic.
  • The XFL is coming, and honestly, I can't wait to see it fail again. I don't like football, it's a bad idea, and honestly, the teams seem... silly.

NWA:

  • These guys know how to party, yo. The latest Powerrr was fantastic. Ricky Starks is a true star, Nick Aldis is indeed a National Treasure, etc.
  • For all that this is a relatively small-scale company, it rarely feels rinky-dink.
  • I don't really know about Zicky Dice or whatever he's called, but he's getting there. Lots of upside to him.
NJPW:

  • Can't wait to watch more New Japan! I've been loving how Kenta is living the dream, how Suzuki is going bananas, and how Okada is still a beast.
  • I hope poor Ibushi recovers well from his illness and internal injury! Poor guy caught the flu, and the constant heaving from the flu gave him a small tear in the space between his stomach and his esophagus. He should recover well, but still, I think about him a lot, and I hope his recovery is smooth and gentle.
  • Uh, speaking of Suzuki going bananas, he's going to be in a match with Orange Cassidy for some reason? The reason appears to be that Joey Janela is nuts and his Spring Break PPV is always bonkers.
  • Last note: Post-wrestling Liger is precious and brings me joy

AEW:

  • Speaking of Orange Cassidy and Joey Janela...
  • Joey is great in his feud with Sabian/Penelope
  • Orange Cassidy faced off against Tully Blanchard during Dark this week, and it was pure magic. I can't wait to see the blowoff to that feud lol
  • Newsflash: Jurassic Express is flipping amazing.
  • I'm not looking forward to Cody getting his lashes tonight. I get very uncomfortable during strap-beatings, because I've seen what a legit whipping can do to the human body, and the line between "too weak, looks fake" and "oh crap, you've permanently disfigured him" is extraordinarily thin.
  • In better news, Taz is a glorious commentary guy for Dark, and hearing him get completely popped by Excalibur was hilarious and made me happy.
  • I really hope they signed Colin Delaney, because he was great during the tag match.
  • Finally: the intergender match between Team SuperBad (Sabian and Penelope) vs Kenny Omega and Riho was fantastic. It was beyond fantastic - it was brilliant storytelling, made both women look extraordinarily powerful, protected Riho without making her look unrealistically capable, and had a great sense of fun to it. If you watch Dark for any reason, do it for this match. I look forward to seeing more proper intergender matches in AEW!
That's all the wrestling news I have for companies this week, but I have a one more note:
  • Congratulations to War Horse for winning the online tournament to be placed in the new RetroMania Game!

That'll about do it for me today!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!