Sunday, October 7, 2018

Survival Sunday 17

I didn't cook this week. I did it about an hour ago for lunch. Early lunch. And I botched it at one point.

But it was still good :P

Ladies and gentlemen and others, I present to you: Leftovers Quesadillas

Ingredients

  • Tortilla shells (soft, 2 per quesadilla)
  • Cheese (I used sliced & shredded)
  • Leftover meat (I had shaved steak)
  • Condiments (I used salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce)
I forgot to take out the other cheese and the condiments. Oops.

Sounds simple, right? It is.

Grab a frying pan and some cooking spray and saddle up, friends - let's cook!

1) Spray your pan and plop your first tortilla in the bottom. Don't hit the heat yet.

2) Place half of your cheese on the tortilla in your pan. This is your base layer. Don't hit the heat yet.

My phone refuses to take clear photos, it seems.
Also, I'm impatient and I wanted my lunch.
3) Place your meat on top of the cheese. Don't turn on the heat yet. Believe me, you want to finish primary assembly before getting your toast on.

I think maybe I'd be a little more careful of how the shaved steak goes on in the future.
I'll explain why in a moment.
4) Add the rest of your cheese on top. Not yet - no heat yet!

So, about all this cheese... it's maybe a little foolish to add too much.
Here is the one case where there is actually such a thing as too much cheese...
5) Put the second tortilla on top. NOW! You can actually turn your heat on medium/low. As you can maybe see in the above photo, I'd already hit the heat before putting the top on. That was maybe a mistake.

It kinda looks like a moon like this...
7) Once you feel the bottom of the quesadilla is done enough (toasted but not burned), it's time to flip it! (flip it good...)

This is where I botched. I did not flip it correctly and wound up folding the bottom in half and losing some cheese into the hot pan. That was a pain. Do not panic if this happens to you. Just turn off your pan, temporarily transfer your quesadilla to a plate, and straighten things out. Once you've got your quesadilla settled back together, you can put it back into the pan and hit the heat again. Also, make sure to get any overdone cheese out of the pan before you continue cooking. You don't want burned cheese stuck to your pan (because it will get stuck unless you've got a good nonstick pan).

As you can see, it got a bit... bent. But it's still good!
8) Toast the second side until it's to your liking, then turn off the heat and plate your quesadilla! I used a pizza cutter on mine, then flipped one half on top of the other and added my condiments.

That's sour cream on top, some sort of fast food hot sauce in the middle, and mild salsa on the end.
They went really well together.

I'm pretty impressed with myself here, but I would like to take this moment to remind you all that, while I'm not kitchen-illiterate, there's still a lot left for me to learn and master. Hopefully this gives anyone without confidence in the kitchen some hope - you will improve with time and practice!

And now for the Spice of the Week:



Curry powder is amazing. Add it to rice and suddenly you've got curried rice. Add it to chicken or pork? Amazing. Fish? I don't eat cooked fish, but it's probably really nice.

I hope to make some curries for you guys some time. You definitely want to have curry powder on-hand in the future, just in case.

That'll do it for me this week.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!