Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Talk About Tuesday 19

It's a beautiful day out there - 47℉, 43% humidity, sunny, windy, and freezing cold. Exactly how I like it! Perfect. It might get into the mid-50s today, but with the wind, it's never going to feel too warm (I hope). This is absolutely some fall sunlight, though. It's gently filtering through the leaves out there, reflecting off the puddles from last night's miserable, cold rain, and gently warming my knee where it's coming through the window.

I'm working on a bunch of stuff, and I just finished a book!

Stuff first:

  • I'm making a bunch of crocheted pumpkins for my mother (some of them are pretty ugly, but nothing I make with that yarn is going to look good) which I'll take pictures of, soon.
  • I don't know what I'm going to cook, but Thursday would be the day for it!
  • I wasted 2.5 hours of my life on Sunday watching the commissioned PPV and took 12 pages of notes, most of which are too filled with curses to transcribe. It was painful, but it's also kind of fun to watch.
  • I'm going to have to really knuckle down on Scream Collector, because I'm much, much further along in it than I've ever been, but not far enough to actually write about it (there's some later-game stuff I haven't experienced yet, and I want to talk about it, but I have to get there first).
  • Oh man, the movie for Friday... I'm sorry guys. I'm sorry. You'll understand then. Just... don't watch it - for your own sakes.
  • I'm so happy with The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell! It's not exactly the easiest thing to follow if you're trying to make along, but it's a great source for ideas and I love the effects, the puppetry, the storyline, and the insanity of the whole endeavor. Much props to Ms McConnell.
  • As for Fiber Monday, I'm still torn between making a pumpkin and showing you the madness that is cabling with crochet or making a bat and showing you guys how to make amigurumi.

As for the book, I just finished Grady Hendrix's We Sold Our Souls. Oh man - I actually worried Z while I was reading it because 1) I was reading it "too fast" (a constant issue) and 2) my heart nearly exploded. It's not something to read if you're trying to avoid getting stressed out.

The book follows Kris Pulaski, a middle-aged woman who used to be in a heavy metal band called "Dürt Würk" until the band broke up and the lead singer stole all their music and their rights. Very, very frustrating if you've ever been a musician. Then she sees that her old bandmate is touring with his new band "for the last time" and decides it's time to go get what's hers.

People start dying very quickly.

It's not an easy read, emotionally speaking. Between Kris's frustrations and the constant betrayals against her, it's easy to get angry, frustrated, even stressed out. Then we add in a subplot of a younger fan of the ex-lead singer trying to get out of her boring, soul-crushing life, and things get even more stressful.

Grady Hendrix has written four books, so far, and I've read all three novels: Horrorstör, My Best Friend's Exorcism, and now We Sold Our Souls. All three have female main characters fighting the good fight against pure evil, all three have... issues with therapy/rehab, and all three show the kind of disdain for the daily grind of a crappy job that only someone who's experienced the awfulness of working for a company that couldn't care less if you dropped dead so long as you clocked out first can hold.

If you can get ahold of a copy of this book, do it!

Actually, read all of his stuff if you can - I hear his book of horror novel reviews is pretty awesome too! If you have a local bookstore or library, be sure to request these books from them!





And with that, I bid you all adieu while I listen to a guy play a modded version of Final Fantasy Tactics on a brutal difficulty mode.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!