Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Talk About Tuesday 20

Soft kitty indeed.

It's a cool and gray day, today. The perfect kind of day to wrap yourself in blankets and sip on coffee and watch really bad tv. The kind of tv you don't want people to know you watch. It's also the kind of day that makes me want to curl up in bed with a pulpy novel or an old comic and just veg. I don't particularly look forward to having to get dressed and move, but it's "good for you" and "I'll die if I don't move sometimes" and whatever.

So I hope that nearly 1/10 inch of rain per hour I saw last night on the forecast is a vicious rumor that isn't going to happen.

(Goes and checks weather)

Huh. Look at that. It's going to rain half as much. Nice.

...

Why is the word "snow" showing up on my weather forecast in the last full week of October?!

And why is it happening tomorrow?! Trace amounts? Sure. I've heard that before.

Ugh.

...


Anyway, atmospheric drama out of the way, I really do like this time of the year. I like the shorter days and longer nights, the sunlight filtering through the leaves, the crisp air, dragging out my sweaters, and bundling up in thicker blankets at night. I like the silly specials, the spooky "special episodes", the creepy books and art!

Halloween was my second favorite holiday as a kid, but when you're a kid, it's hard to top Christmas. I'm pretty sure that there's a direct correlation between understanding how hard it is to shop for people and my growing love of Halloween.

You don't have to buy stuff for Halloween unless you want to. It's perfectly acceptable to turn off all the lights on Halloween and pretend you're not home on Halloween.

It's much harder to do that on Christmas when your family wants to visit :P

So today is a lazy morning with mocha and chocolate digestives and a sleepy kitty in a recliner. I'm working on the pumpkin, little by little, and on a hat for myself (I have a similar pattern in magenta, but I want a sea green one), and on my Inktober drawings.

If I were more ambitious, I might try to make something for Sunday today, but I'm not. Instead, I'll tell you that I found a cookbook from 1977 in my library's free book bin. It's the Better Homes & Gardens Oriental Cook Book, and it's...

It's cringy, but not as much as you'd expect.
I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes. Really, I want to work my way through the different cookbooks I have and try a little bit of everything - Thai, Sri Lankan food, Santa Fe cuisine, Asian pickling, the weird random recipe cards I have buried in one of my chests upstairs... I have a little bit of everything here and there, and there's a whole internet besides! Now all I have to do is gain access to ingredients, the kitchen, time, and people who'll eat what I cook.

Z can't eat everything, guys. Most of these recipes have a ton of servings. Z & I would explode.

It's all good, though. I'm sure there will be times where I can cook for an army and times when it'll just be the two of us. I'm a little terrified of the soup recipes I keep finding because...

I love French Onion soup, but I don't want to have to eat 16 servings of it.

Sixteen servings!

S I X T E E N

Anyway, I'm just bumming around on here right now, working on one of the games for Saturday, drooling over how awesome the Sk8-Hi MTE shoes from Vans look, and slowly draining 2 liters of water.

I think, however, that I'm going to let you guys go for the day :)

Go Enjoy Something!
FC


This week's blogs were brought to you by the following coffee-buyers:

ZC, MC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!