Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Talk About Tuesday 22

Our jack o'lantern now sits on the deck, miraculously in one piece so far!

She fits. She sits.

I haven't voted yet, but I'm going to after I finish this blog, so don't worry. I'm all about that civic duty! Since it's still technically the morning, I'm in my pajamas, hanging out on the couch. The cat's asleep in one of the recliners, and the fog-wreathed leaves are slowly falling from their trees, a blanket of gold and crimson which sets a dramatic scene or two at this little house in this little town.

This past week has been full of animals we don't usually see in town or at my house. It started with my mother spotting a big, healthy-looking coyote in our back yard this past weekend. It stared at the house, knowing that if it saw movement it would have to run. People in this town don't seem to like coyotes, and I get that they kill pets and livestock, but they also eat the behemoth squirrels and overabundance of mice and rats, so I say leave them alone. She had a picture, and he was quite the handsome coyote for a canine who likely lives in the dump.

Her encounter was quickly followed by one Z had. I got a text the other day telling me Z'd seen a fox on his way back from my house. The two regarded each other near an intersection before the fox left. I'm told it had a massive tail. That's usually a good sign that they're healthy. I hope so. The coyotes will need all the help they can get cleaning up from this year's roadside carnage (there are more squirrel and bird carcasses this year than any other I can recall).

I kind of live at the edge of town, and it's not a very urban town to begin with, so animals aren't too uncommon. I grew up watching deer and moose, ducks and geese, squirrels and chipmunks all playing in the tall grass of our field, which we only mowed once in a while to keep the alders and swamp maples out. It was a losing battle.

Now we just keep a path down the middle and on either side.
It is in this section of our lawn that today's strange visitor appeared. My mother was getting ready to go and vote, maybe get some shopping done in-town, and I had opted to stay home, drink coffee, and blog. Neither of us expected that me wandering into the kitchen as she settled her purse and bags in the car would result in me bolting out the door to give her the news.

We had a bobcat today.

This is incredibly unusual for my area. The coyotes are bold, so we see them. The raccoons and skunks are fearless, so we see them. The foxes are attracted to our neighbor's hen-house, so we see them.

None of us have ever seen a bobcat out here.

It was smaller than the ones I'm used to seeing on Big Cat Rescue's YouTube channel (because they're Florida Bobcats, not quite the same as ours), but bulky. Its bobtail was twitching as it peered out of the brush on the left hand patch of alders and swamp trees. Its huge paws reached out tentatively into the path. I could tell the bobcat didn't like the path - it loped quickly across and was lost in the brush on the other side. As soon as I thought it would be safe, I bolted out to tell my mom, who was just pulling down the driveway.

All of this happened in a matter of seconds that felt like an eternity.

So now I know that if I see anything the size of a large skunk lurking in the back yard, it might not be one of the usual suspects.

I hope I see it again so I can take a picture, because it was gorgeous.

Remember to vote today, if you're American, and check your local businesses! One of ours is giving a 10% discount if you show up with your "I Voted" sticker, so always check before you head out.

And keep an eye out for unusual creatures! We've had owls and eagles, and now with the exception of bears (which I hope I never see), mountain lions (which I really hope I never see) porcupines, & beavers, I think I've seen all the major native mammals in my backyard now...

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!