Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thursday Art Walk 24: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

It's Turkey-Day here in the states (which means that tomorrow is Pie-For-Breakfast Day!) and I have an sketch and a photo for you!

First, the Sketch:

"Thanksgiving Coffee", graphite on sketchbook; 2018
It's hard to tell, since I'd already finished my coffee by the time I started drawing, but that is supposed to be a full coffee cup. I should do more coffee cups, though. I like drawing them.

As for the photo, I took it from my kitchen window (the same one I tried to take pics of the bobcat through) because what we're experiencing today is very outside my experience.

This is the snowiest and coldest Thanksgiving I've experienced in my memory. It's not supposed to be this snowy. It's not supposed to be 13℉ (~ -11℃).

And yet... it is.
Now, that's a photo from yesterday. Today it's snowier, but there are also a lot more footprints. And pigeons. And squirrels.

Basically it's a mess back there.

Honestly, this is probably one of my better pictures, I think. I might be getting the hang of this amateur photography thing! Cool.

Speaking of Cool - I get to have two Thanksgivings (kind of)!

This has been happening for a while now, but here's how it usually goes:

My family has Thanksgiving dinner really late because we're waiting for one of my sisters to get back from her in-laws' house with her family to come to our dinner. I'm not sure if she actually wants to be fed twice (I mean, my mom's a great cook, so I can see why, if that's the case), or if this is my mom trying to be extra nice. If it's the latter, that's fine, too. I'm just a little confused.

This means that I'm always late to other Thanksgivings. Last year, I got to eat Thanksgiving dinner with Z & our Wrestling friendos! They were brand new parents at that point, I believe, and the kidlet largely slept through the feasting. Usually, though, we go over to our Film & Editing Friendo's house and watch movies and eat dessert & snacks because for FEF & kin, Thanksgiving is about putting on your comfy pants and relaxing, not going nuts over a dinner you'll be eating for three weeks afterwards in leftover form with people you don't actually want to be around (not a real problem for me, since I genuinely like my family, they just overwhelm me because I'm a wimp).

We're going to the movie-marathon-and-dessert party today. Thank goodness there are rides being offered - I'd probably freeze to death in this wind. Honestly, with the wind chill, it's at best 7℉ (~ -14℃). And it's bright, but not bright enough to offset the frigid winds. The only good sign is that there are still animals moving about. I can hear our crows, frustrated that the suet feeder isn't cooperating with them (it's for the woodpeckers and songbirds anyway, fellas, try the cracked corn and dry bread we tossed out earlier), and I heard one of our morbidly obese squirrels tromp across the deck earlier.

Generally, at Relaxing Thanksgiving, we run the Mystery Science Theater: 3000 Turkey-Day Marathon while we chill and nosh. Unfortunately, the powers that be made it so that the "Turkey-Day" Marathon was on... was it Tuesday? A different day, regardless, so we had to come up with our own plan ahead of the new season of MST3K. We're not going to run their Gauntlet, however cool that would be.

We're having our own sort of Gauntlet this year. Each of us picked a couple of episodes of MST3K and we're going to try to sit through the movies un-riffed. I tried to pick movies that didn't hurt to watch (I like Godzilla movies, for instance), but the one I really wanted we can't do. It's tough loving The Creature from the Black Lagoon and its sequels when one of your hosts is deathly opposed to it. Not afraid. I'd never accuse someone of fear. Just... adamantly against. Loudly. With death-threats.

So That's going to be all from me on this frigid yet friendly day of thankfulness and blatantly ignoring our terrible history with Native Americans...

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

(PS, that link is from Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, FL, so if you want to watch a bunch of big cats munch on turkey & Cornish game hen, this is your chance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!