Monday, December 3, 2018

Fiber Monday 26: Flurries in the Rain

After working on more snowflakes today, I realized that it was really dark outside. The heavens opened and I got a repeat of yesterday's wretched weather. That's right. It's December 3rd and raining. In the Northeastern U.S.

It's also 42℉ (~5.6℃).

Ugh.

Ah well. If I want snow, I'll just have to make it!

These patterns are from Paton yarns out of Canada. The overall pattern is for a group of snowflakes to be appliqued to a tree skirt (or used as ornaments) and titled "Bells, Flakes and Tree Skirt Edging".

Here we see the slow process for Snowflakes A & B:

Yes, this complex shape is round 1 of Snowflake A!
It's done with Treble Crochet (yarn over twice, then draw through 2 loops at a time) and long chains!
I use a Magic Circle to make my snowflakes as opposed to a chain, even though the pattern calls for a chain.
I'm also using a hook that's slightly too big because I can't find my 1.5mm...

Round 2 is mostly double crochet & chains, and it makes things look a bit more uniform.
I like the little spaces between the groups of three double crochet stitches.

The final round consists of a lot of picot stitches (chain 3, slip stitch into the first chain) and clusters.
Clusters feel a lot like double-crocheting things together, but it's just making two dc with one top.
That's a terrible explanation. Sorry.
So that's Snowflake A. Charming name, I know. Heh.

Snowflake B is a lot more in-depth.
Here we see the first round, which is alternating sc and ch2 spaces.
There are 12 sc/ch2 spaces each!

The second round is made of twelve 2dc clusters with ch2 spaces between them.

I accidentally skipped Round 3, which consisted of sc 2 in each space, ch 5.

The next round, Round 4, consists of alternating tc and 1ch spaces followed by ch3, sc, ch3.
This gives us our usual 6-lobe snowflake.

The last round is 99% picots, 1% sc.
Most of the picots are ch3 picots, but the middle of each treble quartet is interrupted by a 5ch picot!
I'm not 100% sold on how this one came out, but it's still pretty neat :)
I'm sure I botched Snowflake B somehow, since it doesn't look like the picture, but the picture is such poor quality (which is hilarious coming from me...) that it's hard to figure out what's happening.

Still, it's a nice flake! Our blizzard is well underway!

So now it's time to go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!