Sunday, December 16, 2018

Survival Sunday 27: Claf2tis

As you might guess by the stupid title here, I made another clafoutis! This time, I dispensed with the fruit entirely and made it with the food of the gods: chocolate.

For the recipe, it's very similar to the last clafoutis, but I'll write the full recipe here anyway :)

So here are our ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup 2% milk
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp butter cut into bits

Does this seem familiar? It's almost exactly the same as the apple version!

Here's my process (though I didn't take any process shots, my bad!)

1) Preheat that oven to 350℉ (~175℃) and grease & flour your pan. I used a 9" pie pan, but if you're using chocolate chips, you may want to put in a waxed paper circle to prevent sticking.

2) Sift your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt) together in a big bowl.

3) Beat your eggs in another bowl and add all wet ingredients (milk, cream, vanilla). Since we were low on the cream and my milk was also only 1%, I added half-and-half to make up the difference. The results were pretty good.

4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and whisk these together until there are no lumps. Yes, a whisk makes this process a million times faster than my spoon method on the apple clafoutis.

5) Pour your nice brown clafoutis batter into your prepared pie pan/flan pan/quiche pan or whatever you're using. 10" is your goal, but I used a deep 9" pie pan here and it was pretty okay :)

6) Add whatever other chocolates or chocolate chips you want at this point and dot with the butter. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can obviously use anything you want here including fruit! Regardless, here's what you'll end up with before baking:

Looks good, yeah?

7) Now bake that goodness for 40-50 minutes until it doesn't jiggle violently when you shift it in the oven. I may have overbaked. I don't know. I've never had one of these that I didn't make.

It's good!
So the consistency is something like a pudding/custard that's quite firm with an almost brownie-crust on the top, sides, & bottom. The chocolate chips all sank to the bottom, which made removing it pretty hard, but considering the fact that I took half of this with me to movie night and came back with very few leftovers, I'll call it a win!

There's currently maybe 3 slices left, if we're conservative :)

So that's it for me today!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!