Monday, March 18, 2019

Fiber Monday 212: Penultimate Cattage

So I may have had quite the day...

First, I realized that I had neglected to make myself a second leg for our kitty, so I decided to do that first, hoping I'd have enough body yarn to finish it & the ears in the same color. I did, but now my body color yarn ball is about the size of a ping pong ball. That's fine. We're done with it for now!

Regardless, I learned a valuable lesson in mindfulness today - if you're gonna make coffee, make sure to stay near your kettle and DO NOT go back upstairs to "check something". I wound up making one of the ears and starting the second (complete with photos!) before remembering that I'd left the kettle on. Thankfully, it hadn't caught the house on fire yet.

This time...

Regardless, folks, remember to watch all potential sources of ignition while in use.

Anywho, on to our cat!

Here's the pattern. I'm still using a 4.0mm hook, which I've used throughout. My yarn is somewhere in the Worsted/#4 range. Do what you like!

Ears start with sc 4 in a magic ring

Then tighten the ring up!

2sc in each sc around (8 sc)

(sc 3, 2sc) twice (10 sc)

(sc 4, 2sc) around (12)

(sc 5, 2sc) around (14), then fasten off, leaving a nice, long, sewable tail.
Yes, this is a cone. Flatten it for a nice triangular ear, or stuff it for little horns in a devil project!

Together, they look a little absurd, I'll admit. They're like a little bra!

Now for the mouth, things get obnoxious.
You make a magic ring, then sc 7 into it.
That's right, 7.

2sc around to get 14 sc, and after this.. well...

sc around. For 8 rounds.

You should have a little cylinder.
Stuff this now. Do not wait. You will not have space for the stuffing unless you've got a system for that!
I don't have a system for tiny-stuffing, so I just jammed it full now.

Here's where it gets hard.
3sc together, 4sc together, 4sc together, 3sc together.
Boom. Done. Fasten off, leave a long tail.
Wait, does this mean we're done with kitty?

It does.

Next week, I'll show you how to stuff (basically) and assemble our kitty friend. Maybe I'll even find something to use for a nose & embroider on his mouth!

That's all from me, folks.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!