Sunday, March 3, 2019

Survival Sunday 209: Pork Loin Roast?!

It's not often that the preparation of dinner is left in my hands, but that was the case this week! My mother wanted to make a pork loin roast for dinner, and since she'd be at work, she left me to do the prep. It's a shockingly easy meal to make, I promise, and the ingredients list isn't that long either!

Your necessities are: 1 pork loin roast. 1-2 apples. 1-2 onions. Our onions were small or we'd have used one bigger one!
First things first, start preheating your oven to 350℉ (175℃). Then you're going to wash, slice, & core your apples. You don't have to peel your apples. Just cut them into either quarters or eighths and then peel your onions and do the same to them. You just want your fruits and roots to be about the same size and to leave room for your roast!

My apples - I forgot to take a photo with just apples & onions...
Next, you carefully take your roast out of its package. If it has twine, leave it on. Ours didn't have twine, so I just made went to the next step: Seasoning. I used salt, pepper, and a hint of garlic powder. You can use whatever you think sounds tasty. I strongly suggest using curry powder or various kinds of pepper. Whatever you use, make sure you've got one side completely coated before transferring it to whatever you're using as a baking dish. Ours is ceramic. You might use metal or porcelain or something else. Whatever you use, it needs to be 100% NOT PLASTIC. Not that I need to tell you that. Just... I've seen some stuff, guys. I've seen some bad stuff.

Nestle your meat into its tasty bed and prepare to season the other side!!!
Please note that if one side is fattier than the other, put it facing up so the melting fat self-bastes the meat!

I could've gone far, far crazier with the pepper, I think,
but some of the people eating this roast wouldn't have liked it as much.
Keep that oven temperature exactly the same and chuck that puppy in. Ours only needed an hour and a half, but your cooking times will vary! I'm including a handy little chart here to help you math your way to safe, tasty cooking that will keep you from food poisoning!

See? 350℉. 1.5 hours. Good meat!

The roast before cooking, haloed in sunshine.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the meat when it was done cooking because people were hungry.
I assure you, it was perfectly cooked.

And here's my dinner!
The Roast is on the lower left, and yes, it's supposed to look like that.
Pork does, in fact, have light & dark meat. And this was the juiciest roast I've had in a while!
The weird brown slimy thing above the roast is either a piece of apple or some onion - it's a little hard to tell after cooking.
The veggies were frozen from a bag, then nuked with a tiny bit of butter.
The weird biscuity things are actually potato pancakes!

I would love to make the potato pancakes for you guys some time. It's a fantastic way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, and the more flavors you add (ours had some parmesan/asiago blend cheese in them) the more ways you can make them! They're a great tasty treat, too.

I think that'll about do it for me for today, though.

Go Enjoy Something!!!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!