Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Wednesdaymania 303: The State of Wrestling in 2020

In Which I Blather About Wrestling
It's a new year, and wrestling is... very different than it was in January of 2019.

Let's go through, company by company, and see what's up on the Wrestling front as of 15 January, 2020!

WWE:

  • RAW and Smackdown numbers are down pretty badly
  • NXT has massively risen in popularity
  • Local people are actually talking about wrestling now in my home town
  • The Big Show is back in the ring
  • R-Truth isn't a punchline, he's throwing the punchlines. And he's great.
  • There is a lot more money being funneled to the talent.

ROH:

  • The outlook is pretty grim, actually :(
  • Due to talent being gobbled up by pretty much every other promotion, ROH is struggling to keep their roster up
  • They managed to keep Marty Scurll by:
    • paying him a ton of money
    • making him booker
    • telling him he only needed to wrestle a few times a year

NJPW:

  • Despite losing a lot of talent (Kushida, the Bucks, Cody, Kenny, etc), NJPW has managed to really soup-up their roster with some amazing Young Lions (Karl Fredericks and Clark Connors) and really pushing their great talents (Naito, Ibushi, Shingo, Takahashi, etc)
  • The LA Dojo and the US shows are fantastic
  • Jushin Thunder Liger retired
  • It's really fun, but there's a definite change in how matches flow. It's both more and less western, and the only way to explain that is to see it.

MLW:

  • Holy mole, they lost a lot of talent when AEW formed
  • Still, they have held onto some great guys and worked well with their roster to create interesting programming
  • Also, they signed on with ICM Partners with an eye to better TV deals in the future, which could be huge.
  • There's a lot of upward momentum, I think, despite the blows they took to their roster.

NWA:

  • Oof, the Cornett stuff was bad, but they handled it fairly well, once people pointed out that there was flummery afoot.
  • Dat roster, tho - it's both one of the best and worst rosters in wrestling, with some of the most charismatic and fantastic wrestlers... as well as some who I don't get why they're popular, but that's my own opinion, and you should really see the show for yourselves.
  • Question Mark. That's all I'll say. Make your own judgments.
  • I love, love, love the commercial segments, the cheesy set, the music... it's the real deal, and I love how corny it is. It's its own beast.
  • Nick Aldis continues to be a National Treasure, and having Big Poppa Pump show up is amazing.
  • Yes.

AEW:

  • From their inception and debut, AEW has grown by leaps and bounds
  • They have one of the most bizarre and interesting rosters of any show right now
  • The seamless blending of internet content and television content, along with the way both storytelling mediums mix, is fantastic and definitely sets it apart as a new creature
  • They just got renewed through 2023
  • I really, really, really want to see more every time I watch
  • I still don't really get the appeal of Britt Baker in the ring, but I like her as a person. Same with Brandi.
  • I'm not 100% behind Riho as women's champion, because I feel like the storytelling is fairly lackluster with her.
  • I'm 100000000% behind Kris Statlander, and I am beyond thrilled with the interactions between her and Orange Cassidy on BTE.
  • Oh man, just... I love this company, and I hope they continue to grow and improve.
IMPACT:
  • It's last here because I know next to nothing about it
  • They employ some of my favorite workers, but I can't watch the show (legally), so I have no idea what's going on there.
  • Hope everyone's getting paid!
  • Hope everyone stays safe!
  • Have fun, guys!
So those are my thoughts on wrestling as it stands today!

Any companies I should look into and cover more? Anything anyone would like to add? Let me know!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!