Monday, March 16, 2020

Fiber Monday 313: So You're Stuck Inside

In Which I Encourage Trying New Things
So it's pretty clear that most people on Earth right now are trying to avoid other people. This is something I'm used to trying to do, but for some, this is a change. And it's heckin scary. I get that.

If you're already in the early stages of self-isolation boredom, then you've probably considered all of the different creative things you've wanted to try for ages and just never gotten around to. Now is the time to try some stuff out! Especially fiber-related things!

If you have a basic repair kit - some needles, some threads, some scissors, a thimble, a measuring tape, and a pen - you can actually start hand-sewing something right now. You can try out embroidery right now. You can make those repairs right now!

If you're interested in sewing, there's a lot of free resources for you online. YouTube has hundreds of tailors and seamstresses who are probably working on a project a lot like the one you're interested in. Mood Fabric Store has a bunch of free modern couture patterns to try out. Your local fabric store might deliver, and if they don't, then it's unlikely you'll be encountering many people, because while people talk about Quilting Bees, it's not a common thing these days.

If your interests stray more towards the yarn end of things, you might need to go get yourself some supplies (or, probably, order them via Amazon or something!). For knitting, you'll want a set of knitting needles in various sizes, some stitch markers, a pair of scissors, a measuring tape, a yarn needle, and some yarn. For crochet, you'll need exactly the same supplies, except you'll want crochet hooks instead of knitting needles. If you're planning on making toys with your yarn, you'll also want some safety eyes or buttons, maybe some embroidery supplies and thread or floss, and maybe some safety noses, as well (for dogs or bears or whatever).

If you're more of a felting person, there are entire starter kits for this hobby, and I strongly suggest picking one up, because I literally have no idea where to start. This goes for spinning as a hobby as well - buy an all-in-one kit with your spindles and roving or whatever!

Once you have your supplies, you look for your teachers. Obviously, face-to-face is a bit... fraught right now. You'll probably want to start with someone online showing you the ropes. There are websites aplenty for the fiber arts, but you'll probably want to start with either some e-books from your local library or Amazon or something, some YouTube videos, and prepare yourself for a lot of swearing to yourself.

I'm still working on the shrug. I'm also working on something called a Snood, which is basically like a fancy hair net because I'm tired of brushing my hair out of my face, and it would be safer if I wasn't constantly reaching up and grabbing for my facebits. I might also make a pair of lacy gloves, since I've been meaning to forever.

Regardless, this is the time to start practicing that craft you've been looking forward to learning. Get those paints and paint - don't faff about waiting for "the right time" because that time is now. Get those markers and draw. Use your kids' crayons. Sculpt that pony out of Play-doh.

If there's one thing YouTube has been teaching me, it's that we fail first, then we do better. It's okay to suck at that thing you like but don't know how to do yet. Almost nobody is magically good at something their first try. My first scarf looked like trash. My first drawing looked like an amoeba when it was supposed to look like my mother. My first painting was just so many blobs on a page. My first notes on the flute were shrill and awful. My first song on the piano was a crappy rendition of Chopsticks. My first story was literally about a horse who was a dick to her bullies because I was in middle school and obsessed with horses.

What I'm saying is: this is 100% the right time for you to flex your creative muscles. If we ended up with a Debut Novel Boom after this garbage calms down, that would be awesome. If we had galleries filled with new artists' works, I'd be thrilled. If we ended up with a glut of handmade items at every fair and festival and on every crafty seller's page, that would be super neat. If suddenly there were a million more musicians or singers or whatever on Bandcamp or whatever, that would be incredible. Let's make 2020 the year we become our truest, most creative selves.

Let's stay as safe and sane as possible.

And if all else fails, there's always foot pics on the internet.

I love you all (from 6-8 feet away, minimum).

Go Enjoy Something!
Go Create Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!