Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Talk About Tuesday 314: Battling the Blorb

In Which I Have A Problem

So... I'm typing this from bed. Haven't gotten up yet. Don't really feel like moving, even though I know I should be moving right now.

An Accurate Representation of Me
I feel lazy, comfortable, and cozy. I'm swaddled in a fuzzy swath of fleecy blanket. There's snow outside. I don't want to get up.

I know that makes me sound like a disgruntled grade-schooler (though they'd probably be fighting to get back to school at this point...), but let's face it. Some mornings, you just want to BLORB.

Blorbing is basically exactly what it sounds like. You laze around like a half-filled hot water bottle left on a couch to cool. No motivation. No desires. Just... floppy existence.

It's pretty nice, to be honest.

But it's insidious, because the Blorb can seize control of you in an instant. It's the force that makes you resistant to movement at any cost or any time. You have a headache, but the meds are all the way over there, and it's not that bad. You have to pee, but it's not that urgent, and you're comfy. You're hungry, but not that hungry.

And the next thing you know, you've been in bed for 17 hours, your bladder is about to explode, your guts are gnawing on themselves, and you feel like you've gone several rounds against Mike Tyson.

So yeah, Blorbing for a bit is nice (especially early in the AM before you get ready to Do The Work, as Cody Rhodes says), but you cannot succumb to the Blorb. The Blorb wishes to destroy you. The Blorb is your inner nihilist trying to deceive you into non-productivity.

How can you fight something that's so cuddly, though?

Well, mostly you do it by putting on clean underwear and grabbing some coffee. Once you're out of bed, the urge to return will be strong. You don't need to fight it 100% of the time, either. Naps are good for you. Just... try not to nap for 20 hours straight while it's light out and you could be doing other things (like bingeing on free NBC shows on their app, stress baking random recipes you found on the internet, spamming memes, or... gasp maybe actually working on something creative?!).

Today, I'll be fighting the Blorb in this manner. Actually, gimme a sec, I should go make some coffee.

...

That chewed up about an hour lol. Had some coffee and a few tasty tea biscuits plus conversation with my mother and kitty cuddles. I also discovered that the NBC app is currently free with commercials, so if you need your Quantum Leap or Xena: Warrior Princess fix, now's the time! Some of the transfers are much better than others, though, so if you're hoping to see Miami Vice, maybe stick with one of the paid streaming services, because I'm told it has a very bad judder on the panning shots.

So, yes, if you're facing down the day with zero motivation and you desperately want to lay there and do nothing, don't give in. Don't just reach for the remote and binge watch your shows without getting up. Go get coffee. Take a shower. Dress.

Then you can get back in bed and watch tv if you really, really want to.

But you may also experience some sudden inspiration to do something, which is great!

For me, peeling myself off the mattress and starting the day, regardless of how reluctant I am to do so, is the best way to get things done that need doing.

In my case, the "things that need doing" are writing, drawing, and crocheting. I won't be able to cook very much during this time, since my folks are home and they prefer to be masters of their kitchen. Ditto with the other kitchen I usually use for noodles. I do have a few things banked, but don't be surprised if Sundays are mostly very cheap or very simple recipes with little to no pictures for a bit.

As for the writing:

I've talked about the novel I'm working on a few times. I've already written one novella-length section, and I'm working on a second part right now. Part 2 is currently ~1.8k words long, and it has consisted mostly of conversation, a car ride, a near-miss with some equipment, a very messy merch table at a convention that isn't open yet, and more conversation.

Which is funny, because I have written exactly one wrestling scene in a story about wrestlers.

But soon, I shall be writing more wrestling scenes, and more conversations, and I'm pretty sure there will be a scene where someone angrily beats iron with a huge hammer because life is not fair and he's making a horse goddamn it.

It's a weird book, this book I'm writing.

I'll be working on it some more today. Hopefully I'll hit over 2k words before my second nap.

I'll be working on the blog some more, but I'm likely to be taking some time off from it in April so I can really focus on the novel.

Birb cannot live by Blog alone, after all.

Don't worry - I'll still be posting every so often in April, but the daily updates will likely not be a thing. It's hard to keep up with the gaming section, especially when so many games are long-term! And, honestly, it's hard to write about wrestling every week. I don't know how so many people do it daily. As for movies... honestly, I'm having a hard time focusing on movies right now. It may be a while before I've really got it together for movie blogging. It's not that I haven't seen any movies (I have), it's that I have a hard time watching movies. My brain is not latching onto the details.

Speaking of the blog, here's this week's plan:
  • Tomorrow I'll tell you how the Ghost Basho finished up, talk about how Pro-Wrestling is handling the shutdown
  • Thursday will be ART DAY!
  • Friday might be me talking vaguely about When Ladies Meet, but I don't know for sure.
  • Saturday might involve blocks and idling.
  • Sunday might involve noodles?
  • Next Monday should be more progress on DA Lady Sybil, but we'll see lol.
  • Next Tuesday, I will absolutely be on here to keep you up-to-date on my goings-on.
In fact, despite just telling you that regular updates are off for April, I can assure you that I will keep up with Tuesdays. Tuesday is my way to let you all know that my dorky butt is still on this mortal coil, that I'm still working, that I'm still hardcore about bread and books.

So even if you don't see much blather from me next month, feel free to come back on Tuesdays for your weekly dose of derp, and I'll keep you up-to-date on my literary goings-on.

Good luck inside, if you can be. Good luck outside, if you must be.

Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!