Thursday, March 26, 2020

Thursday Art Walk 314: Dinomite!

In Which I Keep Drawing

The worst thing I could do right now is to stop doing the things that bring me joy and accomplishment. While I know that I'm not the best artist on the face of the planet (my pride and joy are a set of shadowy cityscapes in watercolor and a sketch of a banana in a Jedi robe called "Obi-Wan Banana"), but that's not my aim. I just want to make things that make me smile.

A while ago, I made a small dinosaur from crochet. The pattern was on Stringy Ding Ding, and I love it. If you crochet, you should check her stuff out - it's adorable. I have it sitting on my windowsill, where it silently judges me as I heave myself out of bed in the morning, so of course I had to draw him.

"DinoMite"; crayon on sketchpad; 2020
And yes, if you squint, you can see Dedbert flying above the dino.

If you are having a hard time focusing on whatever you're doing right now (unless you're on break at your Essential Employment), I strongly suggest grabbing some scrap paper and whatever you have that can serve as a writing/drawing implement and scribbling something into existence. Whether it's a photorealistic Ferrari or a potato-faced doodle bro, it will probably help you unwind and draw your mind back from panic. Even just slapping a bunch of lines on a page can be beneficial!

The world is scary right now. Maybe you have to unleash the scary by making scary art. Maybe you have to squash it with silvery landscapes of graphite on the back of an old receipt. Maybe you just want to draw genitals and snicker. Maybe you want a page full of cats and pawprints. Maybe you want a fleet of tanks rolling over a paper bag you brought home from the supermarket last week.

Whatever you make, it's a good thing to make it.

Making things is good, and you should feel good.

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!