Saturday, June 8, 2019

Saturday Casual Gaming 223: Postknight

I'll be honest, guys, we were a couple hours away from me just saying "eh, whatever" and doing a review on Peggle or something, but instead, I found something wondrous.

From the Malaysian developer team Kurechii, I give you Postknight!

LOOK HOW CUTE THIS IS!
Postknight is a cute little RPG where you play the eponymous Postknight, a warrior for truth, justice, and speedy and accurate mail delivery. You fend off hordes of enemies while you deliver letters and packages throughout this adorable chibi-style world.

The combat is fun! Fast-paced but not particularly brutal.
As you journey, you'll find equipment, supplies, and ingredients to improve your armor and weapons. You'll gain experience and tokens and money to build up your stats, your Postknight rank, and even convince a pet to follow you around! I'm saving up for a wolf puppy right now...

The whole game is fairly self-explanatory, since the tutorials are really well-worded. I've played some pretty poorly localized games in the past, but this is really well-translated. Aside from awkward wording here and there (though, to be honest, I've seen far more awkward in 100% US-based games...), this is awesome.

Now, if you're delivering mail across a fantasy landscape, that must mean there are towns, right?

Right!

And they're adorable towns, too!
In these towns, you'll find quests to do, blacksmiths to perform upgrades, alchemists/herbalists/straight-up-witches to upgrade your potion, merchants, and... girlfriends. Yep. There's kind of a dating mechanic. Currently, I have access to Magnolia and Fleur as potential girlfriends for my precious pink-haired Postknight. Unfortunately, I don't visit Fleur as often as Magnolia due to time constraints so our relationship is... rocky, to say the least...

The dating mechanic is fairly simple. You can give or receive gifts from the girls you meet in various towns and on the road. Sometimes, they'll even appear mid-route and heal you or give you some useful items! So keep your ladies happy, I guess :P

You might have guessed that I'm thrilled with how nice this little game is. Ads are easily avoidable (you are never, ever forced to click them, but they do give you helpful in-game bonuses!), the sound is fun, the visual style is a d o r a b l e, and the gameplay is satisfying. Not being able to use the shield button while I'm being knocked back by enemies is a little annoying, but it's a small gripe in a sea of fun!

This game is available on the Android & Apple app stores for free, so you don't have to worry about this game breaking your budget, either. Kurechii has a couple of games on Steam, too, but I'm not as much of a multiplayer gamer, so I'll leave those be. They have games on ArmorGames and Kongregate, as well!

I think that's going to be all from me, today - I should see if I can earn enough gold to charm that pupper into being my friend!

Go Enjoy Something!
FC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated, so if your comment doesn't appear right off, it's just bc I haven't seen the email yet sorry!